New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock seal fell into the bucket, what to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
slheinlein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Airlock seal fell into the bucket, what to do

I brewed my first batch last night. When I put the airlock in, the seal fell into the batch. I was not able to find it. Since I didn't have another lid or seal, I simply pushed the airlock in firmly without a seal. My question is will this be OK. Does it have to be sealed tight for the yeast to do its thing? Should I attempt to get another seal and try it again? Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

It will be fine! Trust me on this- my first post here was exactly the same question, believe it or not. I was a winemaker and didn't even use an airlock for primary, so I made up my first batch of beer, and pushed in the airlock and that grommet just slipped right in! Oops.

Now, I put the airlock on the lid, and then put the lid on the bucket. I also bought another $.35 grommet, and it never happened again!

During active fermentation, the co2 is coming out and nothing else can get in. You don't want to expose the wort to fruitflies and stuff like that, of couse, but a leak around the airlock is no problem at all.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah, go with Yooper's advice. Although I am a bit surprised that she admits to having ever asked for advice here. I have been of the mindset that she has always been a brewing god. Who would have thunk it?!?!

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah you could just get another stopper sanitize it and put airlock in it. As for when your done fermenting .... Sorry I am assuming this is a carboy, if not then ignore this link.

oooops... just read the title of the thread.. you are working with a bucket...sorry...

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
slheinlein
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice, makes me feel a little better. How much pressure if any builds up in the bucket during fermentation? I was worried that the airlock could pop off if there is any amount of pressure.

BTW - just checked and there is bubble action in the airlock so things appear great for now.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by slheinlein View Post
Thanks for the advice, makes me feel a little better. How much pressure if any builds up in the bucket during fermentation? I was worried that the airlock could pop off if there is any amount of pressure.

BTW - just checked and there is bubble action in the airlock so things appear great for now.
Oh, quite a bit of pressure could build up. Enough to blow the lid off the bucket and repaint your walls in a nice brown color. However, you really don't need to worry! Your airlock is allowing the co2 out. If there is a ton of krausen coming out through the airlock, or things look like they are going to get more intense (because of a clogged airlock), you can set up something called a blow-off tube.

As long as the fermenter is at a cool-ish room temperature, and there is sufficient headspace for some krausen to form, you shouldn't have a problem. Keep an eye out, and if it starts to look like it's going crazy, let us know and we can help you set up that blow-off tube.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Donnieivanhoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slheinlein View Post
I brewed my first batch last night. When I put the airlock in, the seal fell into the batch. I was not able to find it. Since I didn't have another lid or seal, I simply pushed the airlock in firmly without a seal. My question is will this be OK. Does it have to be sealed tight for the yeast to do its thing? Should I attempt to get another seal and try it again? Thanks for the help.
This exact thing happened to me on my first batch. I tried to fish it out with my spoon for like ten minutes. My lhbs was closed so I stuck my arm in sanitizer bucket then fished it out with my hand. Beer turned out great tho

Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
ScooterPrime
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just made my first brew this weekend and the same thing happened to me. I am glad to hear that it doesn't have to be a total disaster. Here is hoping

Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
J187
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Congratulations! You are half way there!! Now, just pitch your stir bar into the fermenter at some point and you'll be all set!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
PackerfaninSanDiego
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

ok now for the big question...how did you get the stopper out? oops nevermind..thought it fell in a carboy

Quick Reply