I've been reading loads on here and watching youtube videos before I actually took the plunge.
Well today I did - literally!
Bought basic brewing apparatus last week and a Coopers IPA extract kit today.
Sanitized everything carefully and went to work.
Dissolved the 500g spray malt and 800g dextrose in water, then added the extract.
Poured into the fermenter, made up to 5g (not the 23L as in the instructions), took the hydrometer reading (1.042), pitched the yeast and put the lid on.
Lastly, the simple step of placing the airlock on. Aha - as I pushed it the rubber seal went into the wort! I quickly got the lid off and all I could think of was the sanitized spoon. I couldn't feel it so I rolled the sleeve up and went in elbow deep!
Got it out, washed hands, reattached the seal and put the airlock on before I put the fermenter lid on.
Just goes to show that no matter how much research you do - there will always be a mistake!
My hands have never been cleaner so I hope I didn't infect the wort!