Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Niederhofer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My standard is the 3 piece with vodka, but I've used plain water and iodophor water in the airlock, too. After having one plugged and expeciencing an exploding primary twice in a day, I now use a blowoff tube on all beers for the first week. I know that's probably a bit much, but I don't like cleaning ceilings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
KevinW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetherel View Post
One problem I would like to solve with my airlocks is for long term aging of sour beers. During temperature changes I've seen the airlock reverse direction. I could solve this with a long hose into a deep glass of water, but I like the small plastic airlocks on top of the carboy with the plastic caps with the holes in them. They are less likely to knock over. Maybe the solution is simply to have less airpace in my carboy.
I have some but never used the 3 piece airlocks however the two-chamber one-piece airlocks should be fine in this capacity. If you fill the airlock so a little less than half per side is filled, no matter which way the air is flowing none of the liquid should be sucked in or blown out!

If using alcohol or other "sanitizing" agent that won't mess up your beer all should be well as long as you check the fluid level once in a while!

At least that is my humble opinion!

Keep brewing!

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply