Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AirLock Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #21
scottab
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedbrewery View Post

I've had the lid on and screwed off a little bit fir pressure to escape. I did order an airlick, and it should be here in 2-3 days.

I did make a batch only 1 week ago, though I poured 3 packs of yeast instead of 1, and it was a small litter apple juice bottle, couple liters or so.
I had teplaced the airlock maybe 5 times, found it with the condom airlock dissapeared, so it had been sitting all night with no lid or anything. Ironically, it worked. I strained it 6 times yesterday and it tasted and smelt like straight up wine. It made in only 1 week, and it was pretty strong.

I'm just hoping the batch I'm brewing now works out just as good if not better, for I have the lid unscrewed a tiny bit, and waiting on an airlock in the mail. I expect it to work since the last batch did.

but, if I decided to use the tinfoil, how would I sanitize it? and do I just place it over the mouth of the bottle, press it down, and let it sit? Do I put the tinfoil in there tight or a bit loose?

I'm hoping my brew turns out as best as possible. Thanks
The foil should be placed over then pressed down. If you have starsan the use that to sanitize if not you can use diluted bleach solution. As to the yeast, depending on what you are using you don't need to pitch so much for such a small batch, you're just wasting money. You should probably age the wine in an airtight container for 1-6 months, maybe add brewing wood chips for a more complex flavor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #22
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, my airlock came in the mail. I have one qeustion? sorry about being a noob to brewing :|,
Is there supposed to be something the the bottom if the glass airlock goes in? cause' I watched a guy on youtube talking about airlocks, and he had one that looks just like mine, but the bottom (pointy end) Was in some sort of spongey thing, and that's what he put in the hole of his fermenter.
I've already tried, and it went in until the body or chamber of the lock went in the hole and stayed.
It feels pretty tight, but I'm not sure how tight. So I sealed around it with duct tape.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #23
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I miss-spelled because I am typing fast on the iphone app, apologies.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedbrewery
Okay, my airlock came in the mail. I have one qeustion? sorry about being a noob to brewing :|,
Is there supposed to be something the the bottom if the glass airlock goes in? cause' I watched a guy on youtube talking about airlocks, and he had one that looks just like mine, but the bottom (pointy end) Was in some sort of spongey thing, and that's what he put in the hole of his fermenter.
I've already tried, and it went in until the body or chamber of the lock went in the hole and stayed.
It feels pretty tight, but I'm not sure how tight. So I sealed around it with duct tape.

I am saying I did this without the material that I suggested the man had in his video.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedbrewery

The "spongey thing" I was talking about I believe is a stopper..... sorry I am new to brewing. I started a couple weeks ago.
Is there any store other than online that I can get one from?

Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #26
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

yes , you need a stopper to use a airlock . Is there a LHBS around? serch online , maybe one is close.

Foster's Isn't fermented in a kangaroo's pouch?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #27
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBrew
yes , you need a stopper to use a airlock . Is there a LHBS around? serch online , maybe one is close.
I fit it in the mouth if the bottle, and it fit pretty tight, but idk.

I am planning on getting a stopper soon. I may even get some kind of stopper at wal mart and mend it for the airlock to fit.

Though, my last brew was very succesfull considering I had no stopper OR even an airlock.
I even replaced it a lot of times. I used condoms, a plastic bag, and then duct tape with holes in it. It sat over night for a few hours with absolutely no airlock whatsoever a few times, but it still turned out very nicely, in only 1 week may I add. Plus, it was a very stong drink.
So I am not worried about it not working this way, but I shall get a stopper before my next batch.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

I don't think you ever mentioned what kind of container you're fermenting in,or what size it is?

Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #29
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
I don't think you ever mentioned what kind of container you're fermenting in,or what size it is?
It is a 64 fl ounce, 2 qt bottle. The mouth is a tiny bit larger than the circumfrance of the body (round, cylinder) part of the airlock. So the airlock fits pretty tight, but I wasn't sure if it was tight enough. That's why I taped it.
It's just a standar, glass, cylinder-shaped 3-piece airlock with a lif that has several holes.

I came to examine my brew just now, and tons of small bubbles are flying up from the bottom, and also in the surface. The water in the airlock bubbles every few seconds. It appears to be working.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #30
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2266 Times on 1974 Posts
Likes Given: 1699

Get a stopper that fits the mouth of the jug & the stem of the airlock. That'll make things easier.

Quick Reply