The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AirLock Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Take a piece of aluminum foil and sanitize it. Remove the condom and just wrap the foil around it. It won't seal but will keep stuff out and allow the CO2 to escape. Air will not get in as CO2 is being generated and expelling any O2. Then get on the internet and order a proper blow off tube and stopper. Bubblers are fine for a secondary fermentation but for the primary a blow off tube will save you any messes to clean up. DAMHIK!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedbrewery View Post
I have thought about ordering it online. I found one for $ .99

but do you think screwing the cap back on the bottle, then screwing it off about a turn to let air out would work?
It will at first , then the very small gap will clog and build pressure. I would go with the balloon idea stated above. Soak it in starsan for 60 secs. You can burp the balloon to lower how full it is every day , maybe few times a day. Put rubber bands around it to keep it on and tight. You also can put a small piece of masking tape on the balloon and poke 1 small hole with a sewing needle to allow it to vent. The tape will hold the balloon together to keep it from popping. By the time you get a airlock via mail your brew will be done fermenting. Above foil idea will work also.

Foster's Isn't fermented in a kangaroo's pouch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBrew

It will at first , then the very small gap will clog and build pressure. I would go with the balloon idea stated above. Soak it in starsan for 60 secs. You can burp the balloon to lower how full it is every day , maybe few times a day. Put rubber bands around it to keep it on and tight. You also can put a small piece of masking tape on the balloon and poke 1 small hole with a sewing needle to allow it to vent. The tape will hold the balloon together to keep it from popping. By the time you get a airlock via mail your brew will be done fermenting. Above foil idea will work also.
So do you think the tin foil method would work better than the lid being on and unscrewed a little?
I really want this to work. I don't want it to have been sitting for 3 weeks to realize it didn't work.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #14
andy6026
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I don't think you'll get enough pressure for it to stand up looking like a rooster's comb, but hopefully enough to keep anything bad out. I agree that an airlock would be wise, but who knows... you may be able to add this to the 'ways I almost screwed up my beer but it turned out fine thread.'

Or who knows, you may even get a kid out of this.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
So do you think the tin foil method would work better than the lid being on and unscrewed a little?
I really want this to work. I don't want it to have been sitting for 3 weeks to realize it didn't work.
I would go with the tin foil over a loose cap. You take a chance of the loose cap clogging and then a possible LARGE bottle bomb. I personally would go with the sanitized balloon with rubber bands mentioned above. But the foil will work fine if you dont have alot of air flow in the area the fermenter is stored. If you do have a fan or air flow , it could cause the co2 to be sucked out just like how vents work on a house to keep the attic dry. The blowing wind causes the air to be sucked out of the attic.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #16
scottab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

I have thought about ordering it online. I found one for $ .99

but do you think screwing the cap back on the bottle, then screwing it off about a turn to let air out would work?
It would work to a degree but you risk oxidation or souring, or worse still contamination... fruit flies are attracted to co2

Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #17
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottab

It would work to a degree but you risk oxidation or souring, or worse still contamination... fruit flies are attracted to co2
Well, I ordered an airlock online for 1 dollar.
i used a welches grape juice. Do you think the airlick would work in the juic bottle?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #18
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Your going to need a stopper. This is what I did one time. I had to much wort for the bucket so I took a gallon glass wine bottle and cleaned/sanitized it. I put some wort in there to have more room in my bucket.( It was a barleywine and I was concerned about it blowing out the airlock if to full) What I did was I set the airlock on top of the bottle mouth. Then took some saran wrap, Sanitized it. folded it. Wrapped it around the bottle and the lower half of the airlock as tight as I could. Do it while the wrap is still wet from starsan and it will seal better. Then wrap a rubber band around the wrap on the bottle half , then another around the airlock half. It worked great.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
BrutalBrew
Recipes 

Your brew will most likely be done fermenting by the time you get a airlock. How have you been keeping it?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
Shedbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBrew
Your brew will most likely be done fermenting by the time you get a airlock. How have you been keeping it?
I've had the lid on and screwed off a little bit fir pressure to escape. I did order an airlick, and it should be here in 2-3 days.

I did make a batch only 1 week ago, though I poured 3 packs of yeast instead of 1, and it was a small litter apple juice bottle, couple liters or so.
I had teplaced the airlock maybe 5 times, found it with the condom airlock dissapeared, so it had been sitting all night with no lid or anything. Ironically, it worked. I strained it 6 times yesterday and it tasted and smelt like straight up wine. It made in only 1 week, and it was pretty strong.

I'm just hoping the batch I'm brewing now works out just as good if not better, for I have the lid unscrewed a tiny bit, and waiting on an airlock in the mail. I expect it to work since the last batch did.

but, if I decided to use the tinfoil, how would I sanitize it? and do I just place it over the mouth of the bottle, press it down, and let it sit? Do I put the tinfoil in there tight or a bit loose?

I'm hoping my brew turns out as best as possible. Thanks

Quick Reply