Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock bubbling over

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
NewBrew75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Airlock bubbling over

I just checked on my brew which is about 48 hours into fermentation in a 6.5 gallon plastic fermentor. The airlock has filled with sediment and is slightly bubbling over. Right now, the airlock looks to be filled with more wort than water. I guess I could somehow rig a blow off tube. My question is, have I potentially messed up my beer in some way? I sanitized my airlock very well before using it. Also, can I just leave it if it doesn't get any worse?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Happens to all of us at one time or another, it means you have a very very active fermentation...

First off, pull the airlock off anc clean and re-sanitize it...stick it back in, then grab a hose (I found the the one from my bottling wand worked when I needed it) and rig up a blowoff tube..

Everything including your beer will be fine!!! Between that and dropping the rubber grommet into the bucket, means you know you have truly entered the brotherhood of the homebrewer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Willy26 Likes This 
Old 01-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
TxAggie05
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Between that and dropping the rubber grommet into the bucket, means you know you have truly entered the brotherhood of the homebrewer.
Funny you say that. I finished my first batch yesterday and everything went pretty smoothly (except my thermometer didn't really work below 100 degrees, so making sure my wort was cool enough was a bit of an adventure...). The one "big" SNAFU though was when I was trying to get my airlock good and tight I pushed a little hard and now my grommet is swimming in my beer. No big deal...just funny that is the only thing that really went wrong for me. That happened around 6pm last night and when I woke up this morning she was bubbling away. It's gonna be a long few weeks

Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
thesanch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

That damned grommet fell into my bucket in my first brew! I siphoned the wort to my 5 gallon carboy and used that as my primary.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Damn! Thats a damn redneck T-shirt on your primary Rev. (Im having 80s commercials flashbacks of Era and no ring around the collar) LOL

Looks like you got the crash course in brewing for noobs! Welcome aboard! It has happened to all of us at least once.
-Me

Ergo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I am.

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMama View Post
Damn! Thats a damn redneck T-shirt on your primary Rev. (Im having 80s commercials flashbacks of Era and no ring around the collar) LOL

Looks like you got the crash course in brewing for noobs! Welcome aboard! It has happened to all of us at least once.
-Me
LOL...That was from the freakin blowoff before I got the tube on...it just soaked it in...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
Rubberband
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Just had same experience and question.

I was a few threads previous to this and recieved the same kind of quick response. You guys are good, there is some real good knowledge in the group using this site. I am going to have to pay for the site, it's too valuable and I am addicted anyway.

zum Wohl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Old 01-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #8
NewBrew75
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Revvy,

You're everywhere!!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
Semperalacer
Recipes 

Hey guys,

I seem to be experiencing a similar problem here. The airlock is bubbling rapidly, from what I've read due to a very active fermentation. Im about to rig up a blowoff tube, but I have one question: Will removing the airlock not leave the brew liable to airborne infections?

Thanks in advance,
Semp

Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #10
Memorex88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

While there's so much gas coming out of it, there's little to no chance of anything getting in there so you have plenty time to rig a blowoff tube without an airlock on there.

Quick Reply