Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock blew off last night... Is my batch ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
GeoGirl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I had the airlock blow off sometime in the first 12 hours of fermentation. I was really worried about it having been infected because I did not catch it right away but going off the advise here and elsewhere, I just relaxed. 2 weeks later I racked to the secondary because I needed the primary. When I tasted it, there was a terribly bitter taste. I was still worried but set it aside for 2 more weeks. Yesterday I bottled the brew. When I taste tested it, while still a slight bit bitter, the flavor was not bad at all and the color was very pretty and spot on for a Belgian Ale.

Even though I am new to this, based off my experience, I don't think your batch is ruined.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #12
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florenz View Post
Ok, so let me start by saying that I know that I should have known better even though this is my first batch. I'm making a dunkelweisen. The fermentation activity was very lively and foam was coming through the top of my airlock last night. Against better judgment I did not put a blow off hose on. As I should have expected I found my airlock on the floor and quite a mess to clean up when I woke up this morning.

I sanitized the bung and made an improvised blow off tube this morning. My question is: Is my batch totally ruined? There is still quite a bit of fermentation activity and I heard that there is little risk of infection while the fermentation is going on.

Thanks

Bob
your probably fine if fermentation is vigorous more likely than not the co2 will push any bad stuff away from the bung opening.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

At least you weren't fermenting in your closet full of clothes when the air lock blew off!!!

Side story, I was fermenting a Coffee Oatmeal Stout in the closet of my master bedroom with a blowoff tube going into a 1 gallon container full of water.

Apparently my wife was up all night hearing funny noises. It kept her up all night. In the morning she described the noises that she kept hearing and why she was exhausted.

I had to laugh and let her know my beer was in the closet! SWMBO did not find it as funny as I did.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

You should be fine. My father said when he used to brew they wouldn't even really cover the bucket. Pull a pillow case down over the bucket with a big elastic band to hold it tight, lol. Yu should be fine. The cover on my second batch hasn't sealed, I say drink it up and give it another go.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Watch these videos of one of my beers...that came out fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #16
Florenz
Recipes 

Thanks everybody for your feedback. Blow off tube is on and fermentation activity is still ongoing, although not as vigorously. I'm amazed at all of the quick responses by everyone. I really appreciate it! Thanks again!

Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #17
oodeeba
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

looks like me first beer too a IPA and Wheat both did that too nothing happen to them

When I like Beer
I make it Myself

Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
2005STi
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Bumping an old one. This just happened to me, a slower start than usual with my yeast and a good bit of head space left me throwing an airlock on rather than my usual blow off tube.

Came home today to find the airlock on the ground next to the carboy. Krausen was foaming out the top of the carboy. I grabbed the airlock, stole the bung, and sanitized it. Then I scooped out the first few inches of krausen in the neck of the carboy with a sanitized spoon and threw a clean blow off tube on.

I've read many posts on this but am still antsy. I'm thinking I'm in pretty good shape all things considered since the krausen likely provided a barrier between the clean beer and bacteria floating in the air, right?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Luckily my first brew did not have any blow off. I did ferment for a day a little high so while looking around for advise I found HBT. I have used a blow off tube at the start of every fermentation since and the only clean up is the catch basin.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
Setesh

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Better out than in I always say.....

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Quick Reply