Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock blew off last night... Is my batch ruined?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Florenz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Airlock blew off last night... Is my batch ruined?

Ok, so let me start by saying that I know that I should have known better even though this is my first batch. I'm making a dunkelweisen. The fermentation activity was very lively and foam was coming through the top of my airlock last night. Against better judgment I did not put a blow off hose on. As I should have expected I found my airlock on the floor and quite a mess to clean up when I woke up this morning.

I sanitized the bung and made an improvised blow off tube this morning. My question is: Is my batch totally ruined? There is still quite a bit of fermentation activity and I heard that there is little risk of infection while the fermentation is going on.

Thanks

Bob

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah it's doubtful you introduced any bacteria, and no o2 would have gotten in there. I think a lot of people have stories like this and their beer turns out well. RDWHAHB

Thanks for the input

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

I'm sure it is. When you have it fermented out and in bottles, you can send it to me and I'll drink it, um I mean I'll dispose of it for you.

No, the chance of infection is almost non-existent as your bubbling wort is pushing everything out with that CO2 that is being produced. Just rig your blowoff and you are good.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While nothing is 100%, what you heard is the probability. I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like your procedure was the appropriate one.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm-mn View Post
i'm sure it is. When you have it fermented out and in bottles, you can send it to me and i'll drink it, um i mean i'll dispose of it for you.

No, the chance of infection is almost non-existent as your bubbling wort is pushing everything out with that co2 that is being produced. Just rig your blowoff and you are good.
+1

Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm-mn
i'm sure it is. When you have it fermented out and in bottles, you can send it to me and i'll drink it, um i mean i'll dispose of it for you.

No, the chance of infection is almost non-existent as your bubbling wort is pushing everything out with that co2 that is being produced. Just rig your blowoff and you are good.
+1000. Rdwhahb.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
ibrewit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Pics help in this forum...or in this case can be just for fun.

This is my first dunkleweizen. The cover from the airlock on the left hit the ceiling. I cleaned up, installed blow off tubes and cleaned up again. The beer turned out great.

p5160009a.jpg  

Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
PirateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just to share my own experience, I brewed an Agave Wit back in February on a Saturday night. I put my carboy in the basement and let it do it's thing without checking up on it until Wednesday (yes, a whole 4 days). When I went into the basement that fateful Wednesday after work, I saw the bung and airlock about 3 feet away from my carboy...how long it had been like that I have no idea. It could have happened an hour after I put it in the basement or an hour before I actually checked on it. I bottled the beer, let it carbonate, tasted it and all was fine! As everyone else has said RDWHAHB!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
ThePearsonFam
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrewit View Post
pics help in this forum...or in this case can be just for fun.

This is my first dunkleweizen. The cover from the airlock on the left hit the ceiling. I cleaned up, installed blow off tubes and cleaned up again. The beer turned out great.
that...is...awesome!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
ShermanTank
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, That is active; however, I had a batch of Irish Red (believe it or not) do the same thing. I woke up on brew day +1 to find my air lock 10 feet away. The beer was fine and the universe was all right. The amount of air pressure inside your fermentor almost certainly kept foreign bodies out. Enjoy!

Quick Reply