Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock activity in bottling bucket...go ahead and bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
patd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Airlock activity in bottling bucket...go ahead and bottle?

So I transferred to the bottling bucket a few hours ago to prep for bottling, mixed in my corn sugar, and put on a lid and airlock to let it set for a while after moving it.

I just checked on it and the airlock is bubbling. Is this normal for corn sugar addition, or has fermentation started again?

My Final gravity was 1.018 for the last few days (has been 3 weeks in primary). I was shooting for 012-015, but I needed to get this brew ready for someone so wanted go ahead and bottle since fermentation had stopped.

Am I setting up for bottle bombs? Should I let it sit for another week, and re-add bottling sugar later once fermentation has stopped? Or have i just never noticed this I don't usually put an airlock on the bottling bucket?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you take three successive FG reading that were constant?

Every time you add more food the yeast will do more work so, yes, in short more fermentation will begin. Thats how it carbonates in the bottle.

If you sealed the bucket back up, the transfer alone would have scared enough CO2 out of solution to cause your airlock to bubble.
I bottle within a half hour of transfer so I don't worry about it.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You add priming sugar to give the yeast something to eat so they will carbonate your beer. If you had the same gravity reading over 3 days it is probably done fermenting. You should be filling bottles shortly after you prime your beer. Don't let it sit or you will lose some of the CO2 that should be carbonating your beer if it was bottled.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

CO2 coming out of suspension, nothing more. Bottle away!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

1.018 for 3 days? You're golden, go for it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Why are you letting the bottling bucket sit with an airlock on it?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
patd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Why are you letting the bottling bucket sit with an airlock on it?
It was shaken up a bit while I was moving it, wanted to give it a chance to settle out some of the trub that got sucked up. And mostly because my 6 and 3 year olds have been going nuts all day, I wanted to wait until they chilled a bit before starting

Quick Reply