Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Airlock activity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
dirtybasementbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Add the lactose at the end of the boil to dissolve. It'll give a cream ale like flavor,but you'd have to add some vanilla to get that part of the flavor.
Thanks unionrdr
I'm gonna try again today I'll keep u posted

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

Good luck. My ale that thinks it's a light lager is going about the same way. Tried 1 bottle of version1 after it cooled down well last night. The combination of fruity esters from the Cooper's ale yeast & the all NZ hop combo I used has it tasting like a slight white wine-like sweetness. Changing yeast & hops to get it more like a Euro light lager. Looks like we both got some more work to do...

Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
dirtybasementbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Good luck. My ale that thinks it's a light lager is going about the same way. Tried 1 bottle of version1 after it cooled down well last night. The combination of fruity esters from the Cooper's ale yeast & the all NZ hop combo I used has it tasting like a slight white wine-like sweetness. Changing yeast & hops to get it more like a Euro light lager. Looks like we both got some more work to do...
I think I'm gonna b a little smarter and try a 21/2 gallon batch instead of dumping out 5! I have been experimenting with spices like fennel, I did a 21/2 gallon boil added fennel let it cool than tasted it. I try that with a lot of diff spices fruit etc. What r your thoughts on doing that

Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

We did spices a couple times with the BB summer ale kit. It's a shock top clone basically. That's about it for me. Haven't done any spiced pumpkin strawberry kinda stuff yet.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
ACbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

OP - I'm currious... why did you dump? I've found that when my beer doesn't match my expectations, it isn't a bad beer, just expectation miss match. Like thinking you are ordering beef and getting lamb... both taste good, but the flavor is off from expectation.

Now I can see that if you added to much spice you'd be like "Great all I can taste now is Basil!" you would dump. But if the not quite creamcicle ale was drinkable I'd personally keep it and keep working on it for my wife.

I've not done a lot with spices. So corriander for a belgian wit style. That was in for part of the boil, but I don't think the whole thing, also it was crushed/cracked not powered. I've done spices in mead but those went into the secondary.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #16
dirtybasementbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer
OP - I'm currious... why did you dump? I've found that when my beer doesn't match my expectations, it isn't a bad beer, just expectation miss match. Like thinking you are ordering beef and getting lamb... both taste good, but the flavor is off from expectation.

Now I can see that if you added to much spice you'd be like "Great all I can taste now is Basil!" you would dump. But if the not quite creamcicle ale was drinkable I'd personally keep it and keep working on it for my wife.

I've not done a lot with spices. So corriander for a belgian wit style. That was in for part of the boil, but I don't think the whole thing, also it was crushed/cracked not powered. I've done spices in mead but those went into the secondary.
The flavor out of the bottle was like charcoal not too pleasant! The recipe is posted do if you would like check out my other posts any help would b greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd never discourage experimentation, but I find after years of brewing how many amazing flavors I can get out of traditional ingredients keeps me well satisfied. Wanna taste dried fruit? Mash warm with some toasted grains and ferment with a quality Belgian yeast. Like a blast of citrus? Try a newer hop variety like citra or mosaic. Like chocolate, make a stout with roasted grains that'll have everyone who tastes it swear there's actual chocolate in the recipe. Fruit additions certainly have their place in brewing, but not in a beginner's brew in my opinion. Without a solid foundation of understanding fermentation variables, yeast strains, grain types and hop varieties, your chance for success is limited. I understand the allure of throwing this or that into a brew, but trust me, focus on your process before getting too creative and you won't be disappointed. Fruit in a beer walks a very thin line of too much, and can't taste it at all. When you experiment with traditional ingredients, you don't always hit your mark, but you rarely brew a throw away. Not to mention what you learn applies to EVERY beer you brew, not just your strawberry shortcake weisse!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #18
dirtybasementbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus
I'd never discourage experimentation, but I find after years of brewing how many amazing flavors I can get out of traditional ingredients keeps me well satisfied. Wanna taste dried fruit? Mash warm with some toasted grains and ferment with a quality Belgian yeast. Like a blast of citrus? Try a newer hop variety like citra or mosaic. Like chocolate, make a stout with roasted grains that'll have everyone who tastes it swear there's actual chocolate in the recipe. Fruit additions certainly have their place in brewing, but not in a beginner's brew in my opinion. Without a solid foundation of understanding fermentation variables, yeast strains, grain types and hop varieties, your chance for success is limited. I understand the allure of throwing this or that into a brew, but trust me, focus on your process before getting too creative and you won't be disappointed. Fruit in a beer walks a very thin line of too much, and can't taste it at all. When you experiment with traditional ingredients, you don't always hit your mark, but you rarely brew a throw away. Not to mention what you learn applies to EVERY beer you brew, not just your strawberry shortcake weisse!
I will take your advice! I want to b able to enjoy the fruits of my labor, no pun intended. Throwing your work away is not rewarding!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #19
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do a search for an article by Drew Beechum, " brewing on the ones". Great info...

Old 02-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #20
Zman3
Recipes 

So, If the air lock is not being that active it could just mean its not sealing right and I shouldn't have to add more yeast?

Quick Reply