LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
jd410
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Airlock

I'm a beginner, after six days have not seen airlock activity in my lager.
Is this a bad sign?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1613 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 2710

Nope, normal.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
andy6026
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 54

From what I've read that's not necessarily a sign that the yeast isn't doing it's thing, but it's certainly worth having a look and/or a hydrometer reading at this point.

(I'm new too so default to others' advice over mine).

Old 03-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

As useless as an airlock is a a gauge of fermentation in ales, it's even more useless for lagers. Remember gas EXPANDS when warm and contracts when cold. So therefore since an airlock is really only a vent to release EXCESS co2, there often isn't any co2 that needs to vent out, because it's contracted by the cold of the fermentation.

So it's even more important to use you HYDROMETER, to determine "activity," since a decrease in gravity really is the only way to know for sure.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

IceIceTommay Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
jd410
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks so much!
Would your recommend taking a reading now? (After six days) And one next week after two weeks?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
jd410
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
As useless as an airlock is a a gauge of fermentation in ales, it's even more useless for lagers. Remember gas EXPANDS when warm and contracts when cold. So therefore since an airlock is really only a vent to release EXCESS co2, there often isn't any co2 that needs to vent out, because it's contracted by the cold of the fermentation.

So it's even more important to use you HYDROMETER, to determine "activity," since a decrease in gravity really is the only way to know for sure.
Thanks so much!
Would you recommend taking a reading now (after six days)? Or wait till next week after its been two weeks?

Old 03-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's a diagnostic tool. You're not sure what your beer is doing, right? Then if that's the case, you taking the reading will tell you what your beer is doing, and therefore either ease your mind, or will till you if there's a problem.

I always make the analogy that taking a gravity reading is like a doctor using a tool like and ekg or an x-ray- you can't always rely on your senses to know what's going on. An airlock may or stop bubbling due to everything from barometric and temp changes, a leak in the bucket, to a truck rolling down your street, so it's NEVER a reliable indicator of what's happening.

But a hydrometer reading is. So if you've got a concern then use it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
jd410
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
It's a diagnostic tool. You're not sure what your beer is doing, right? Then if that's the case, you taking the reading will tell you what your beer is doing, and therefore either ease your mind, or will till you if there's a problem.

I always make the analogy that taking a gravity reading is like a doctor using a tool like and ekg or an x-ray- you can't always rely on your senses to know what's going on. An airlock may or stop bubbling due to everything from barometric and temp changes, a leak in the bucket, to a truck rolling down your street, so it's NEVER a reliable indicator of what's happening.

But a hydrometer reading is. So if you've got a concern then use it.
Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply