New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
mortus0868
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default airlock

I had two batches of beer take 2 to 5 days to start fermenting and when it starts it gets crazy and blows up through the airlock. Am i doing something wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Yes, no, maybe, could be, F if I know...

Need to know what you've been brewing including recipe, method, OG, yeast used, how treated, any additions, etc. Also, how do you oxygenate the wort? Temperatures you chill to will also be good to know... Without actual information to work from it's impossible for us to say.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 11-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
mortus0868
Recipes 

It was a pumpkin beer i used rahr 2 row 9lb, flaked wheat .25lb, crystal 120l. .50lb 120 boil time. Northern Brewers whole hops 2oz , and pumpkin at 60mins. And 1 oz of hallertau mittelfruh at 30 mins. 3 cups brown sugar. Cooled down to 70°f aerated with a fish tank pump. Octoberfest lager wyeast and fermented at 70°f

Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3853 Times on 2815 Posts
Likes Given: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortus0868 View Post
IOctoberfest lager wyeast and fermented at 70°f
Ouch. Hopefully, it's not lager yeast fermented at 70 degrees!

Fermentation can get very active, especially when warm, and a warmer fermentation usually gets warmer as the yeast get more active.

if you have the temperature in a good range for the yeast strain you're using (generally 62-68 beer temperature, not ambient, for ales) then it's fine.

For lagers, you want to ferment at 48-52.

A stick-on thermometer on the outside of the fermenter is handy. They are just temperature strips, like on fish tanks, so you can see the temperature at a glance.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
mortus0868
Recipes 

I was going off what the package said for temp...

Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Is this the yeast you used? http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=134

Temperature range is 48-58F. You need to look at the web site for liquid yeasts (especially) for the temperatures, and other info. Chances are the package is 100% generic and not to be used as a guide.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Oh, that's only during pitching to compensate for them not giving you enough yeast in the first place. Once fermentation starts, they expect you to drop the temperature quickly to the correct temperature. (A practice I don't agree with, but that's for another time!)

A lager yeast should be fermented at 48-52 degrees or so.

Here's their website: http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain.cfm

Click on the yeast strain you used, and it'll give you the info. For example, their "oktoberfest lager blend":

YEAST STRAIN: 2633 | Octoberfest Lager Blend™

This blend of lager strains is designed to produce a rich, malty, complex and full bodied Octoberfest style beer. It attenuates well while leaving plenty of malt character and mouthfeel. This strain is low in sulfur production.

Origin:
Flocculation: medium-low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 48-58° F (9-14° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABV

One thing to keep in mind is that this is fermentation temperature, not room temperature. It's not unusual for a beer to be 8-10 degrees warmer than the actual ambient temperature so fermentation itself produces heat. Any room approaching 70 degrees is really too warm, even for ale yeast strains, without using a ice bath/swamp cooler/etc.
Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
mortus0868
Recipes 

Ok. I didnt realise that... you think thats my problem is the temp being to hot. Ok with me being a new brewer and im only doing all grain batches. I tried a recipe off the internet and it wasnt what it was suppose to beer. Do you know a website that can help me form a beer recipe

Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Ok. I didnt realise that... you think thats my problem is the temp being to hot. Ok with me being a new brewer and im only doing all grain batches. I tried a recipe off the internet and it wasnt what it was suppose to beer. Do you know a website that can help me form a beer recipe
Well, sure, we even have a nice recipe database on our site. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

You're doing all-grain 5 gallon batches?

If you want to order a kit, with the grains crushed and the recipe all typed out, my favorite site to order them from is austinhomebrew.com. They have hundreds and hundreds of good proven kits.

Temperature control will improve your beers immediately, as well using the correct amount of yeast (normally one package of liquid yeast isn't enough, in spite of what the package says). We can help with lots of suggestions on fermentation temperature, recipes, and techniques.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
mortus0868
Recipes 

Ok what about reusing already mashed grains. I did it once and it seemed to turn out good. The only reason i reused them was i had to much wort after a boil. So i made a what i call a make shift batch. It wasn't calculated it was just thrown together. I added 1 cup brown sugar and a tablespoon of vanilla to the boil. I used 2oz of fuggle hops and so4 dry yeast. It was really good. I thought i saw somewhere you can or youll get like off or bad flavors from reusing already mashed grains.

Quick Reply