AIr lock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
This is only my second brew. The first had no bubbles at all coming out of the air lock. It fermented out fine. This time I am again getting no air lock activity. I am thinking that there is not a completely air tight seal on the lid of my bucket. My question is there a way to check the seal and if it is leaking is there a way to make it air tight.

press on the lid of your fermentor bucket, or if you're using a carboy, squeeze it slightly... you should see bubbles come out your fermentation lock, and when you release, see bubbles go the other way. If not, then you've probably got a leak. If you do, dont worry too much, airlock activity is not the only indicator of healthy fermentation. Chances are, you're just fine

One thing I have to keep telling myself is to "clean the sealing surface before putting the lid on"! That helps a lot. Plus the fact that my cooper's micro brew fermenter had some molding flash on the mold line. The mold line just so happens to run right through the middle of the lid sealing surface. Took a sharp knife & trimmed off the flash,wiped it clean. Finally,air lock is working instead of leaking out under the seal.

Latest posts

Back