*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AIr lock activity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
bassassassin772
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AIr lock activity

This is only my second brew. The first had no bubbles at all coming out of the air lock. It fermented out fine. This time I am again getting no air lock activity. I am thinking that there is not a completely air tight seal on the lid of my bucket. My question is there a way to check the seal and if it is leaking is there a way to make it air tight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
NyPDFustercluck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

press on the lid of your fermentor bucket, or if you're using a carboy, squeeze it slightly... you should see bubbles come out your fermentation lock, and when you release, see bubbles go the other way. If not, then you've probably got a leak. If you do, dont worry too much, airlock activity is not the only indicator of healthy fermentation. Chances are, you're just fine

Last edited by NyPDFustercluck; 05-16-2011 at 06:53 AM. Reason: fix typo

Old 05-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2048 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

One thing I have to keep telling myself is to "clean the sealing surface before putting the lid on"! That helps a lot. Plus the fact that my cooper's micro brew fermenter had some molding flash on the mold line. The mold line just so happens to run right through the middle of the lid sealing surface. Took a sharp knife & trimmed off the flash,wiped it clean. Finally,air lock is working instead of leaking out under the seal.

Quick Reply