Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > air leak in primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
brewingbryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno
I think wild yeast can make there way into your beer if its not sealed. I think your co2 can fizzle out with long enough time with a leak and make it vaunerable to wild yeast.But usually unlikey. Wild yeast are in the air we breath where there is air there is wild yeast. If that pocket of co2 escapes then the ambient air replaces it.Same reason we try not to open our buckets or carboys very much.
So say I take my blow off tube, put it in the top of my glass carboy and place some sanitized aluminum around it to better "insulate" it. Would that be good enough for the primary fermentation? I just want to take the most careful route that doesn't involve my carboy exploding.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewingbryan View Post
So say I take my blow off tube, put it in the top of my glass carboy and place some sanitized aluminum around it to better "insulate" it. Would that be good enough for the primary fermentation? I just want to take the most careful route that doesn't involve my carboy exploding.
Not really visualizing this,so you have no plug for the glass carboy? Well if you have flimsy foil over and overactive ferment with a blow off its just going to probably take off the foil and tube and gush out, uless maybe you tape down the foil/tube tight.
I had a problem with my(wooden) lids (got rid of them),molding so i( after krausen dropped ) sealed the wide mouth jar fermenter with plastic wrap and a rubberband.No problems.It may balloon up a little but you can burp it too.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #13
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I think wild yeast can make there way into your beer if its not sealed. I think your co2 can fizzle out with long enough time with a leak and make it vaunerable to wild yeast.But usually unlikey. Wild yeast are in the air we breath where there is air there is wild yeast. If that pocket of co2 escapes then the ambient air replaces it.Same reason we try not to open our buckets or carboys very much.
this is not entirely accurate and to the extent that it is it does not apply to most homebrew situations. many people ferment their beer with just a piece of foil over the carboy, plastic wrap over a bucket or nothing at all in terms of a cover. i can imagine a situation where the layer of CO2 would disappear but that would take considerable time unless you there is a fan blowing into the fermenter. a bucket with a leaky lid will not cause the CO2 layer to disappear. a 3-7 day fermentation without a sealed fermenter is perfectly fine, i have one going right now and i'm sure there are many others out there. if the fermentation is taking place in a drafty, dusty atmosphere that is another issue but most people choose to ferment in atmospheric conditions more amenable to fermentation. the original poster over reacted , in my view, to a situation that presented very little, if any, danger to his beer.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
how big is your carboy? if you have 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy you might not need a blow off tube at all. if you do need a blow off tube wrapping it in foil won't hurt anything but not wrapping it would give you the same result. i have 5 gallons in a 7.9 gallon fermenter right now with the lid placed loosely on top, the krausen went up and down and never got near the top.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

pouring your beer after fermentation had started might have introduced some oxygenation - not really a good thing for beer. Next time, don't panic. If you want to move the beer, a quiet siphon is a better idea.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #16
brewingbryan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak

how big is your carboy? if you have 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy you might not need a blow off tube at all. if you do need a blow off tube wrapping it in foil won't hurt anything but not wrapping it would give you the same result. i have 5 gallons in a 7.9 gallon fermenter right now with the lid placed loosely on top, the krausen went up and down and never got near the top.
I've got a 6 gallon glass carboy used for primary. I've got a regular bung/air lock for the carboy, but also the large, plastic blow off tube in case I need it.

I would have the extra gallon of space in the fermenter, but I suppose I could also set the wort level at 4.5 gallons.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:51 AM   #17
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
I've got a 6 gallon glass carboy used for primary. I've got a regular bung/air lock for the carboy, but also the large, plastic blow off tube in case I need it.

I would have the extra gallon of space in the fermenter, but I suppose I could also set the wort level at 4.5 gallons.
I bet you won't lose much with a gallon of head space. Those orange carboy hoods is what I use, never a regular airlock. When I have a blow off it can handle it better than an airlock.

Quick Reply