Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHS - Shiner Bock Clone - Live From Memphis, TN

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
WillyWonka71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AHS - Shiner Bock Clone - Live From Memphis, TN

Good morning all,

Greetings from the most jacked up city in America!

Sunday I started my first Austin Home brew kit and I decided on doing the Shiner Clone. I have read these forums many times and I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for the advice found EVERYWHERE within these "walls".

Your advice and suggestions are incredible especially to a newbie like me.

Right now I have my ferment-er sitting in my guest bathroom tub (without water of course) and it is holding at around 24C. (Bout 72 to 74F).

The sulfur smell (fart smell) was a tad bit strong (not overwhelming by any means) but I have read that is perfectly normal and will dissipate after fermentation and with bottle conditioning.

I plan on leaving this in the Primary for 2 weeks. I am completely new to this since I have only done Cooper's kits with fairly good results but I am ready to graduate in order to put on my big boy pants.

I will keep you updated on my progress. I am using the White Labs WLP833 for my yeast. Right now the beer is looking ok but it has only been 2 days.

Thanks all and happy Tuesday to you!

Take care and suggestions and advice are more than welcomed!

-WillyWonka71

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The yeast you are using is a lager yeast, which means it should be fermented down in the 48-55 range. You may very well be getting some off flavors developing, which unfortunately may not mellow out as much as you think. Here is the link for the yeast strain

Future: ???
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Maple Vanilla Brown Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
WillyWonka71
Recipes 

Oh man! thank you so much! I will try the T-Shirt method when I get home to cool this guy down. Thank you so much for the heads up.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks again twistr25

-WillyWonka71

Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
WillyWonka71
Recipes 

I also forgot to mention my OG was 1.045.

Sorry about that!

-Willy

Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
WillyWonka71
Recipes 

Update:

I was able to purchase a plastic round tub (the type with ropes on the side) and froze a case of bottled water. While the bottled water was freezing, I placed two bags of ice (not opened) around the fermenter in order to drop the temps. This worked extremely well.
I used the frozen bottles this morning before I left for work to keep the temps lowered and I removed the ice.

My question is that I had my temps at 72F for a little over a day and a half. (I did not know I was supposed to ferment at a lower temp DOH!! ). Could the off flavors already be affected (as twistr25 stated above) and by bring down the temp could that "shock" or affect my beer in a negative way?

I just want to make sure I am doing what I can to save this batch. Everything seems to look and now "smell" ok. I noticed this morning that the "fart" smell was no longer there.

Any suggestions or comments would be most helpful.

Thanks!

-WillyWonka71

Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Two days at those temps will probably have some off flavors with a lager yeast,but I would just keep it cool at this point and let it ride.Let it be a learning experience as it will still be beer.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
WillyWonka71
Recipes 

Ugh! Thank you BrewerBear. I was afraid of that but I will certainly do what I can to keep it cool as not to bring anything else bad to the brew. I appreciate your input.

Live and learn I guess.

Thanks again,

WillyWonka71

Quick Reply