Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHS Rogue Dead Guy Ale Extract Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
hawkeyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default AHS Rogue Dead Guy Ale Extract Kit

Has anyone tried the AHS Rogue Dead Guy Ale Extract Kit? Did you double pitch? It recommends double pitching. I'm assuming you would want to get the Wyeast Rogue Pacman Ale 1764 instead of the Danstar Nottingham dry yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #2
muthafuggle
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I haven't done the kit, but I have done the all grain clone. Here's what I would recommend... Either double pitch or make a nice starter. Aerate your wort well, and ferment as close to 60 degrees as you can get it. Pacman yeast is amazing stuff, and it loves cool temps. If you have the ability to cold crash, I would recommend it strongly. Cold crashing is cooling the fermented wort to the mid 30's for a couple of days to help the yeast and other stuff sink to the bottom of the fermenter. Makes for clean tasting, very clear beer.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthafuggle View Post
I haven't done the kit, but I have done the all grain clone. Here's what I would recommend... Either double pitch or make a nice starter. Aerate your wort well, and ferment as close to 60 degrees as you can get it. Pacman yeast is amazing stuff, and it loves cool temps. If you have the ability to cold crash, I would recommend it strongly. Cold crashing is cooling the fermented wort to the mid 30's for a couple of days to help the yeast and other stuff sink to the bottom of the fermenter. Makes for clean tasting, very clear beer.
Thanks for the reply! Since I'm fairly new at this and I have never made a starter before. I should probably go with 2 Wyeast Pacman yeast packages (8.99 each). The Ale I currently have fermenting in the basement is around 65-66 degrees. Do you think that is good enough? I can get to 60 if you think that would be best. I have a freezer with temp controller. Although, It's in use right now with a lager.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyes View Post
Thanks for the reply! Since I'm fairly new at this and I have never made a starter before. I should probably go with 2 Wyeast Pacman yeast packages (8.99 each). The Ale I currently have fermenting in the basement is around 65-66 degrees. Do you think that is good enough? I can get to 60 if you think that would be best. I have a freezer with temp controller. Although, It's in use right now with a lager.
60 degrees is my preference when making a Dead Guy clone and using pacman yeast!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #5
hawkeyes
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
60 degrees is my preference when making a Dead Guy clone and using pacman yeast!
60 degrees and pacman yeast it is! Thanks!

Quick Reply