Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHS limited edition farmhouse ale mini mash question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default AHS limited edition farmhouse ale mini mash question

Hey everyone. I'm toying with the idea of picking up AHS special edition farmhouse ale as my first mini-mash kit. My question is, for those who have experience with AHS mini mash kits, can it be done as a partial boil, say maybe three gallons, then topped off with water after the boil? I am, unfortunately, not currently equipped to handle a full boil, but I would still like to give this beer a shot.

I know any recipe can be modified to use a partial boil, but does this kit's instructions build from a partial boil?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You might check with them, it depends on how much water you need to mash/sparge. It looks like the kit has about 3 pounds of grain so that would be about 1.5 X 3 quarts = 1.5 gallons for mash, then about 1.5 gallons sparge....so around 3 gallons of wort from mashing/sparging. So it really depends on your equipment and whether it can handle 3 gallons plus or minus...and that is without any of the extract added.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes. The instructions for the mini mash are usually 3 gallons or so. I've done about 20 mini mashes. Only the Guinness FES was close to 5 gals. If you have a 5 gallon pot you'll be fine. If your brew pot is less than 4 gallons, you'll just have to keep a closer eye on your pot. You can always call AHS and verify with them. Pete

Quick Reply