The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHS commerical brew kits observations and questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
DaveO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AHS commerical brew kits observations and questions

I have been brewing for a while, mostly brews that I have found on the interwebs, or recipes that I have generated myself with BeerSmith. My wife decided that she would get me some kits of her favorite brews to work from. She ordered me a DFH 90 min. IPA and a Lagunitas IPA kit.
I was surprised to find how little hops go into the DFH 90 min. I know it's a malty IPA but 6 oz. is as much as I put into a Pale Ale. The Lagunitas IPA came without any dry hops, again going against all I know on IPA brewing.
My questions... both kits recommend a 2.5 gallon boil. I have a 40 qt. brew pot and would prefer to do a full boil. Would the hops/malt be affected by a full boil?
Also I have read heavily about late boil additions of your extract, I would like to go that way but I don't know how much that will mess up the clone. Any beer is good to me, But my wife is hoping for decent representations of her favorite brews. So is it a good idea to tweak established brew kits to maximize flavors or just follow them to the letter?
Also I would love any input from y'all fellow brewers that have used these kits.
TIA,
Dave:-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

If you do a full boil you're going to screw up the hop utilization. The recipes from AHS are designed to clone the beer as a partial boil.

Yes, you can do it, but it will come out less hoppy that way.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
DaveO
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Really, I have read that a full boil with a late extract addition will optimize the hop profile.
I can see your point about messing up the developed recipe, and that was the point of my thread. Will it mess it up, will it add to it (but change the flavor away from the clone), or is it nothing to worry about....hop utilization and full wort boils are just hype

Old 05-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

full boil >>> partial boil (IMO)

Check out some brewing software (there are stickies, take your pick) and compare the hop utilization changes. You might have to back off on the 60 minute addition to compensate, but you might not. The advantages of the full boil out weigh the 10 minutes of work it will take to do the math.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Both late addition and going to a full boil will increase the IBUs without changing the hop flavor/aroma. Based on my experiences with Austin's clones, their recipes are very, very good. Where I've been able to do side-by-side comparisons, they have been spot on. Don't mess with it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Spaceball1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Both late addition and going to a full boil will increase the IBUs without changing the hop flavor/aroma. Based on my experiences with Austin's clones, their recipes are very, very good. Where I've been able to do side-by-side comparisons, they have been spot on. Don't mess with it.
I would agree except for their alcohol boost. In terms of OG, FG and taste, the two batches I've done with their straight up extract kit have been right on the money. The two I tried the boost on were drinkable but way off target.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Lagunitus IPA is clearly dry hopped so I would say not dry hopping is going to make for a poor clone. Maybe the objective is to clone an old bottle of it.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I did my PtE clone from them as a full boil. It is glorious and I'm down to a six pack or so.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Daparish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball1 View Post
I would agree except for their alcohol boost. In terms of OG, FG and taste, the two batches I've done with their straight up extract kit have been right on the money. The two I tried the boost on were drinkable but way off target.
I've done the boost on several of my kits from AHS. In my experience, the lower the OG or final ABV is supposed to be, the more noticeable and unappealing the boost will be. I think I'm done doing it on my beers < 1.060. I may be done trying it for good, especially on clone kits, as the point of those kits are to get as close to the commercial brew as possible, and the boost is counter-intuitive to that purpose.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Don't know about the boost, I've never used it. I figure I'm looking for a clone, I want it as designed.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply