The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHS Blue Moon Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #1
brewmathew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default AHS Blue Moon Clone

New to home brewing and the forums. Brewed my second batch today, the blue moon clone extract kit from AHS. Couple of questions:
- My OG was 1.056. Could not find reference to what it should be. Does this sound right?
- I have been reading the boards and most say secondary fermentation is not necessary, but AHS suggests it with all their kits. $40 is not the end of the world for another Carboy, but I am also not trying to complicate things for me this early on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 126

SG is stated to be 1.053 (front page of instructions, bottom of page)

Of note.. mine was right at 1.053 when i brewed this a few months ago.. final was 1.010 (recipe spec is 1.012)

And second note.... It tastes nothing like blue Moon
And a final note: Skip the secondary ...it's not needed for this beer, you not adding dry hops, or adjuncts.

Let is sit in the fermenter for two plus weeks..( I went 4 weeks then started taking readings) and take a Hydrometer reading, wait 2 days, take another reading, wait 2 days take a third.. All the same and or at the specified FG.. Bottle or keg.

Fermenting 3: Empty (sad)
Bottled/ Kegged:Bottled-JG American IPA, Blue Moon clone, Superior Strong Ale /TAP1 Tits Up IPA, TAP2 Oktoberfest., TAP3 B&H Porter

Old 10-19-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
brewmathew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Sure enough right in front of my face on the paper, the OG. I swear I looked 5 times. In any case, I probably will skip the secondary based on your recommendation and other threads I read.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
brewmathew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, mine was 1.056 and the recipe calls for 1.053. Is mine acceptable? Why would it be higher?

Old 10-19-2013, 03:04 AM   #5
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmathew View Post
Also, mine was 1.056 and the recipe calls for 1.053. Is mine acceptable? Why would it be higher?
Top off water not mixed well, not a full 5 gal volume, reading not temp corrected, bubbles stick to the hydrometer.. If yours was an all extract brew and you followed the directions, it's hard to miss OG
Bottled/ Kegged:Bottled-JG American IPA, Blue Moon clone, Superior Strong Ale /TAP1 Tits Up IPA, TAP2 Oktoberfest., TAP3 B&H Porter

Old 10-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
brewmathew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Temp corrected I am even higher. I topped to 5 1/4 gallons per the recipe. Agreed, could have stirred better. Tried to stir in the glass fermenter through the little hole. I am sure a bucket would have worked out better. Thanks for the pointers. Trying to figure this all out.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
Math0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The rickards white or blue moon is 5.1% and getting 1.050 ish brings it up to more than that. Is the taste affected? Can you feel the difference? OG should be around 1.048.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math0 View Post
The rickards white or blue moon is 5.1% and getting 1.050 ish brings it up to more than that. Is the taste affected? Can you feel the difference? OG should be around 1.048.
1: The folks that made the recipe, say it should be a FG of 1.053.
2: Neither of the two people who brewed this recipe , discussing it in this thread had a FG of 1.050
3: The Mini mash AHBS recipe brewed here, with a recipe specified FG of 1.053, that came out at 1.053 has good flavor, no alcohol heat or mouth feel.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #9
Math0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Planning on making this one. Good to know

Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
E_Marquez
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math0 View Post
Planning on making this one. Good to know
I've only brewed it once.. so take it for what it is... but my results tasted nothing like commercial Blue Moon.

Those that are drinking it, like it, and ask for a few more bottles every week.... tell me that is a good thing as they don't really like Blue Moon.

Quick Reply