AHS Belgian White Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanGreen

Reaction score
I got the extract recipe for this in over the Holidays. Unfortunately we had to travel unexpectedly. My neighbor left the kit at room temp for the last 5 Days.

I have the White Labs yeast in there with a Cold Pack. Is my yeast still good? I immediately put it in the fridge since I wont be brewing for 2-3 days.

Also anyone recommend a late edition of the extract on this recipe. I know AHS' extracts to be light so I may just follow the recipe as printed.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to your new obsession...

Your yeast will be fine...nothing to worry about.

Here's a recipe you can reference:

Blue Moon Ale Clone

5 lbs. Extra Light DME
2½ lbs. Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Hallertauer pellet hops (4½% - boil 45 minutes)
½ oz. Hallertauer whole hops (2.4% - steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Coriander Seed (crushed - ½ boil 10 min, ½ steep 10 minutes)
1 oz. Orange Peel (zested fresh and dried, steep 10 minutes)
500 ml Wyeast #1214 Belgian Abbey yeast starter

Specifics:
Recipe type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
SG: 1.059
FG: 1.010
Time in Boil: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 7 days
Secondary Fermentation: 9 days

Just follow our instructions. The yeast will be fine. You will experience a longer lag time but not to worry. This is one of our best selling kits for a reason.

Forrest

Just follow our instructions. The yeast will be fine. You will experience a longer lag time but not to worry. This is one of our best selling kits for a reason.

Forrest

forrest

thanks for the reply. I spent countless hours on your site. Needless to say I have a lot of kits lined up. This one did strike me as the best first choice.

Would you recommend a starter with the yeast and is keeping it in the fridge the right decision

Starter will help but not absolutely neccessary. Keep it in the fridge until about 8 hours before you brew.

Forrest

I brewed this as a "guest" beer, as I am more of a IPA/DIPA lover. After I brewed it, I had the flu and the last beer I drank was a...you guessed it...a Belgian White. I was all set to bottle it, but as I was cleaning 2 kegs that were empty of a Surly Furious and a Pliny the Elder clone, I noticed that my bourbon barrel porter was almost 2/3rds gone. I decided since it will be a minimum of a month to get another PTE, a Racer 5 and an Alesmith IPA fermented and kegged, I should be done with the porter and will have the 3 taps available in addition to the AHS Belgian White. So, I kegged it yesterday. It's carbing up and I had a taste today. Minimal carbonation so far, but I think it will be very, very good in a few days. Despite getting sick after having this style. I must not have read the directions accurately, because I boiled 60 minutes. I would have gladly boiled for 30. I will have to re-read the instructions.

Also, I just put in the ingredients to my shopping cart and the kit is +/- $1 difference. Why not just click 1 item (the kit) instead of several ingredients?

I take that back. The kit is way cheaper than buying separately. I was thinking of the price on the Alesmith IPA clone I bought.

Back