New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHS Arrogant Bastard clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #51
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethangray19
I was thinking of doing an arrogant bastard recipe but instead of using 10.5 lbs of Amber LME I was wanting to try 7lbs amber LME and 4.5lbs pale LME.

Ant thoughts on this change, I want to get a slightly less sweet not quite as rich malt flavor.

What does anyone think of this???

thanks

There is not a lot of flavor difference between the amber and pale. Mostly color. So you would just be making the beer lighter in color. Because it is a higher gravity beer you would have a higher finishing gravity (sweetness). You could use White Labs Dry English ale yeast which ferments 10% dryer. It would remove some of the sweetness.

Or you could just use the 7 pounds of amber alone and it would not be as sweet or heavy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #52
ethangray19
Recipes 

thanks AHS

Beer Good.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #53
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I tried my Arrogant Bastard Ale clone from AHS this past weekend it gets two big thumbs up! The recipe called for 4 oz Chinook hops total, but I cut the bittering hops down and only used 3 oz hops over all since I'm still trying to learn to love the hops. This is only my second brew and I nailed it, couldn't have turned out better.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #54
CidahMastah
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just brewed up the Arrogant clone from AHS last night - wort tastes awesome. I went with the liquid yeast WLabs California V and all LME. Chinook was 12.5%AAU

I did a near full boil (kit said 2 gallon boil I think, then add another before LME) and half LME on the front end and half LME at 20 minutes. Other than that I followed the recipe. Thanks to the snow and freezing cold I got the wort chilled in about 15 minutes.

I did a starter for the yeast with 16 oz h20 and 1/2 cup amber DME (had some lying around) and 1 tsp yeast nutrient. The starter only sat for 3-4 hours before pitching, but hey, anything helps!

O.G. was 1.080+ and based on predicted attenuation, it should come out to 8.2% - but we will see.

Looked like the yeast were in a low suspension this morning, but no bubbling yet. Very interested to see how close this is to Arrogant... I love that stuff and will pick up another kit soon if this works out well.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply