HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AHHH!!! Help ASAP, beer in bottling bucket, 10 points too high! What to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
pinkfloyd4ever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default AHHH!!! Help ASAP, beer in bottling bucket, 10 points too high! What to do?

FUCCCKKK So I was gonna bottle my Bell's K-zoo stout clone today after 23 days in primary. Just transferred it into the bottling bucket and the FG is about 9 points high (1.026-7 when it should be 1.017), and that's not counting the 1/2 cup of corn sugar!! Should I rehydrate & pitch some yeast (I've got US-05, S-04, and Nottingham in the fridge) or go ahead and bottle? I was using harvested Bell's yeast from 3 bottles of their Pale Ale. I stepped up the started a couple times and it seemed pretty healthy (lots of yeast sediment, decent krausen) but the main fermentation seemed kinda slow.

To make things worse, I also forgot to take an OG reading when I brewed it back on the 9th, but it should've been around 1.063.

BEGINNERS: [color=#0000FF]Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
mattmcl
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

If you forgot the OG reading, you really don't know what the FG should be. I would put my bets on going ahead and bottling. Now, if you know the FG hasn't changed in a few days, that means definitely bottle. Otherwise odds are on it being done and ready to go.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
dpittard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
why didn't I take a gravity reading before racking onto the priming solution?
Not exactly sure how the priming sugar affects gravity but it will certainly raise it. Maybe this is the answer...

Old 02-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcl View Post
If you forgot the OG reading, you really don't know what the FG should be. I would put my bets on going ahead and bottling. Now, if you know the FG hasn't changed in a few days, that means definitely bottle. Otherwise odds are on it being done and ready to go.
FG means NOTHING without OG!

Obviously since you didnt realize what your FG was, you did not take readings several days in a row to see if it had stabilized, so there's no real way to tell if it's finished.

If it's already in the bucket with priming solution, I'd probably bottle it. After 23 days in primary my money is on ITS DONE. You might want to put the cases of bottles in a spare bathtub while they carb up and be sure to wear your bomb squad gear when you go to test one though, just in case.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpittard View Post
Not exactly sure how the priming sugar affects gravity but it will certainly raise it. Maybe this is the answer...
noo nooo my gravity reading that's 9-10 points high was from the siphon, i.e. without the priming solution mixed in
BEGINNERS: [color=#0000FF]Read the FAQ and the other Stickies (the 7 threads at the top) in the Beginner's forum before posting.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Bottle it FTW!!

I'm betting it turns out great.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #7
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

leave it in the bottling bucket and pitch a pack of yeast. The sugar you added should help the yeast get those last 10 points off. After the FG stabilizes, prime and bottle it. You don't want to bottle ten points high unless you're going to keep the bottles in a sealed explosion proof container and drink them as soon as they carb.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Newbeerguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever View Post
noo nooo my gravity reading that's 9-10 points high was from the siphon, i.e. without the priming solution mixed in

Quote:
FUUUCKK why didn't I take a gravity reading before racking onto the priming solution?
Which one is it? That will make a difference. Also we need to figure out your OG as well. What is the recipe? We should be able to determine the OG from that.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1459 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Whoa man, sounds like you definitely need to RDWHAHB!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
pinkfloyd4ever
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbeerguy View Post
Which one is it? That will make a difference. Also we need to figure out your OG as well. What is the recipe? We should be able to determine the OG from that.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/bell...ml#post2576827

OG should've been 1.063. That's what the Bell's site says and K-zoo stout is 6.0% abv so doing the math, FG should be 1.017 I believe. I took the gravity sample from the outlet of the siphon, as I was siphoning into the bottling bucket (which already had the priming solution in it). The gravity I measured as 1.026-7 was the beer without the priming solution.

Quick Reply