New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aging/scheduling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Autolysis is quite rare on the home brewing scale. Not to mention better quality yeasts nowadays as compared to 20 years ago or so,when these things were thought to be true. Many at the time thought that the yeast were settling out because they were dying or near death for lack of food (sugar). We now know this isn't so. It's not uncommon,even with big beers,to leave it in primary for a couple months with no ill effects.
Save for maybe having to add yeast with the priming solution after most of the cells do settle out eventually. But I've gone 5-6 weeks in primary & still had the bottles carb up. No off flavors either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
SamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another thing that you may want to consider for big beers is to inoculate more yeast ( usually a different one you have used to ferment the wort) before bottling. I have some bottle left of a Belgian strong Ale brewed 4 years ago, flavor is still improving. I can also suggest you to undercarbonate big beers for at least a couple of reasons: first because they taste great with low level of carbonation, second because It happens that after a couple of years the beer tend to increase its carbonation level ( to be honest I've no idea if it is because of few level of infection or it is something related with yeast)

Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

i, on the other hand, prefer highly carbonated big beers. duvel & my fav tripels are all 3+ volumes. for me, it further adds to the intensity of the beer - more aroma & more tingling in the mouth.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
SamBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i, on the other hand, prefer highly carbonated big beers. duvel & my fav tripels are all 3+ volumes. for me, it further adds to the intensity of the beer - more aroma & more tingling in the mouth.
yeah you're right! beers like belgian triple require high level of carbionation, I was thinking about big english barley wine or something like this when I've wrote the message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
firenemus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

I know this thread is a few months old so I hope this is an appropriate place to ask my question. I brewed my biggest AG to date - a weizenbock with an OG of 85. I understand the rule of thumb that a bigger beer requires more time to age, but I also know that wheat based beers should be consumed relatively fresh. Does the drink wheat beers early rule only apply to styles like a hefe or a dunkle? What would you recommend I do with my weizenbock? It's been in the primary for 2 weeks so far. I took a gravity reading last weekend and I was at 27 and my target is around 21. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'd give it another week to get down closer to 1.021.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
firenemus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Thanks union. If I'm at my target should I then keg it and start to carb? I probably wasn't very clear in my original post. Basically I brewed this beer for Halloween and I want to know if it'll be ready by then. Thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Try to give it 3-7 days to clean up after itself & settle out clear or slightly misty,depending on the yeast & malts used. Then keg it & crank it. then by all hallow's eve,you can crunk it...

Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenemus View Post
I know this thread is a few months old so I hope this is an appropriate place to ask my question. I brewed my biggest AG to date - a weizenbock with an OG of 85. I understand the rule of thumb that a bigger beer requires more time to age, but I also know that wheat based beers should be consumed relatively fresh. Does the drink wheat beers early rule only apply to styles like a hefe or a dunkle? What would you recommend I do with my weizenbock? It's been in the primary for 2 weeks so far. I took a gravity reading last weekend and I was at 27 and my target is around 21. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
this should age out quite nicely. no need to rush it. for a beer that big i'd give it 3 weeks in primary minimum, 4+ would be OK to. if you can, warm the beer up about 5 degrees F if you can. that should help with attenuation.

Drinking: a chocolate oatmeal stout, a belgian imperial stout, a Vertical Epic 09.09.09 clone
Fermenting: a split-batch belgian blond/saison
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured Saison, my "Wild Oats" brett/sour, and some other stuff i can't think of at the moment...
Up next: who knows. maybe providing links to recipes for the above beers.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #20
rafaelpinto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have just brewed and Imperial Oatmeal Porter based on a Breakfast Stout clone.

64% - Pale Ale
15% - Flaked Oats
7% - Crystal 120
3% - Oat Malt
3% - Chocolate Malt
3% - Carafa I
2.5% - Aromatic Malt
1.5% - Black Patent Malt

(coccoa nibs and powder added at flameout. I will also add cold brewed coffee, vanilla, cinnamon and coccoa nibs when aging)

OG: 1083 (I guess I can expect an ABV around 8?)
Yeast: US-05

I am pretty much lost about fermentation and aging schedules. I had never brewed such a big beer. What do you guys suggest?

(After a day the beer isnt as brown anymore there is lots of brown thin on the bottle of the sample I got for taking gravity readings. Whys that?)

Thanks already

Quick Reply