Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > aging RIS

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
cjyh84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default aging RIS

Hiya,

Im about to brew my first imperial russian stout, and according to the research ive made, most ot recommend aging the beer (anywhere from 6 to 12 months), i was wondering, is this really necessary?

to my undestanding, aging is inly really necessary for us homebrewers since we cannot perfectly control o2 levels during ferm, and a few others things; basically, the lack of precise control over several variables induce in a few off flavours or undesired effects in the final beer, hence aging allows yeast to clean up after itself during this aging time.

however, most of the stuff ive read abt brewing imperial stouts suggests that aging is necessary due to the high levels of alcohol and to mellow out the roastiness. but with the above in mind, and supposing that i have the right amount of o2 in wort, correct pitching rates, good temp control, etc., would i still need to age?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjyh84 View Post
Hiya,

Im about to brew my first imperial russian stout, and according to the research ive made, most ot recommend aging the beer (anywhere from 6 to 12 months), i was wondering, is this really necessary?

to my undestanding, aging is inly really necessary for us homebrewers since we cannot perfectly control o2 levels during ferm, and a few others things; basically, the lack of precise control over several variables induce in a few off flavours or undesired effects in the final beer, hence aging allows yeast to clean up after itself during this aging time.

however, most of the stuff ive read abt brewing imperial stouts suggests that aging is necessary due to the high levels of alcohol and to mellow out the roastiness. but with the above in mind, and supposing that i have the right amount of o2 in wort, correct pitching rates, good temp control, etc., would i still need to age?
What is the recipe and what is the OG? What kind of yeast are you going to use and are you bottling or kegging.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Spintab
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Age it until it tastes good. If that is right away, awesome, good work. Otherwise, just wait for the jet fuel to turn into beer.

Primary: Honey Kolsch Take 2
Kegged: Alt
Kegged: meBohPils
Bottled: Belgian Gold

Old 07-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
RealLyte
Recipes 

After a month in bottles mine was good. However, letting it sit longer it gets to become excellent. Big beers like this really develope better with time.

Extract 5gal Brewer
In bottle:
BB Russian imperial stout, BB Belgian golden ale, BB Belgian Saison, Simple Hefe, Black cherry BB English brown ale
In fermenter:
BB Pumpkin Porter

Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
cjyh84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BansheeRider View Post
What is the recipe and what is the OG? What kind of yeast are you going to use and are you bottling or kegging.
It's still kinda rough, but:

5 gallon batch
OG: 1.086
IBU: 65
Bottling.

85.5% pale ale malt
9% chocolate
4% C120
1.5% roasted barley

80min boil:
80min warrior for 48 ibus
15min chinook for 17 ibus