Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aging high gravity beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
SpencerSZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Aging high gravity beers

I have a quick question before i buy a homebrew kit, I'm deciding whether I want a 5 gallon secondary or not. I know when brewing a high gravity beer like a barleywine or imperial stout, they need a great deal of time to age and even out the flavors. Does this need to be done in a carboy or can aging it after bottling have the same effect?

I know starting out I'm going to brew something simpler but after getting a few batches under my belt I'll want to begin some more advanced higher alcohol beers. I'm assuming it would be wise to invest now in a additional carboy so I can brew more while waiting on the high ABV to age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Bulk aging seems to help. I age big beers in cornies.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

A 5 gallon carboy IS a wise investment. Many beers benefit from a secondary, in which you rack your brew off the primary yeast, and let bulk age and clarify. Having multiple carboys is beneficial as you will undoubtedly want to brew more than one beer at a time. I have 4 sets of 5and 6 gallon carboys for this purpose. The more the marrier!!! It seems expensive at first, but it is an essential investment in my opinion.

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
JMG680
Recipes 

I have aged in the bottle and in a Secondary and the Secondary made for a better beer IMO. As for brewing a rew at the same time, it will happen and I have one 6 Gallon Primary and 3 5 Gallon secondaries to let me make more yummy beer.

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Quick Reply