Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aging And Headspace

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
BobC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

First how long is awhile? Glass would be better for long aging but I haven't seen any studies that say BB can't be used for long aging nor that they can. Most don't want to take chances with there beer so won't risk it. It all comes down to what you can afford, bulk aging would be best but if you don't want to take a chance with BB then bottle and age it.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2
Primary 3 - Belgium Triple
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout, ESB, Belgium Light.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #12
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demus View Post
If it's oxydation you're concerned about why secondary at all? Your primary has all the CO2 you need already so the oxygen is only introduced during your transfer to secondary. Many brewers, myself included, have all but abandoned the transfer. I've heard of brews sitting in a primary fermentor for 6 months without ill effect. Many still swear by it, but I think there's ample evidence out there that it's not a necessary step in making great beer...
His primary is a plastic bucket.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2

Old 02-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I talked about it in passing with SWMBO, and she'd like for me to make the barleywine, and told me not to concern myself with the additional expense (I get an "allowance" of $70/mo, though I often go over it a bit + local grains) of a carboy as it ought to be mature right around the time the lease is up.

I didn't want to 86 anything off of my list in order to throw a carboy in there too.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
BobC
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

well turn this into an experiment, bottle age this batch and save a couple of bottles. Save up some money to buy a carboy and re-brew it. After it has been bulk aged and ready to drink..compare it to the couple of bottles you saved and you can see which is best.

Primary 1 - Smash 1
Primary 2 - Smash 2

Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I'll be getting the carboy along with the ingredients next month (I plan 1 month out). But the experiment sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll bottle a few when I transfer to the carboy. I'll give it 5 or 6 weeks primary.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Quick Reply