Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aging/Cold Crashing/Bottling Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Boodlemania
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Aging/Cold Crashing/Bottling Question

My 2nd-ever batch of beer, a BB Weizenbier that I brewed 7/27, has done something recently that I can't explain.

For background, this kit uses Munton's (?) Amber and Wheat LME's with Munton's dry yeast.

Every bottle of this I've had since 3 weeks after bottling has been what I'd expect from a wheat beer - cloudy. Also, I never hit the target FG, which I've subsequently discovered Munton's yeast is notorious for. Therefore, the brew was a little "sweet". I had always chilled the beer for 1-3 days before drinking.

Fast forward to last night: Opened a bottle from this batch that had been in the fridge for ~ 3 weeks. Wow! The beer was clear as a filtered commercial beer. I could read through the glass. Also, the "sweetness" of the beer seemed to have diminished.

For the sake of science, I drank that beer and opened another just to be sure it wasn't a fluke.

Question is this: What caused the change in clarity/taste? Cold-crashing from being in the fridge longer? Normal aging of the beer?

I really liked how the beer developed, so I would like to put my finger on what exactly happened so I can be sure to repeat.

- CStone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
cmgray
Recipes 

Did the bottle have a layer of yeast in the bottom? That would be my guess. Lots of particulates drop out over time and the cold accelerates it.

You could always swirl the last little bit of beer before pouring it to get put the yeast back in suspension to see if that helps.

Visit www.brewtility.com Online brewing software and beer recipes database.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well people recommend that you chill your bottles for a week before drinking them (but who does) to reduce chill haze.

I think what you have is a combination of cold crashing, AND a long slow bottle conditioning in the cold...

Good for you.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
GroovePuppy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Well people recommend that you chill your bottles for a week before drinking them (but who does) to reduce chill haze.

I think what you have is a combination of cold crashing, AND a long slow bottle conditioning in the cold...

Good for you.

Wait, his beer was a Weizen. Didn't his patience ruin it?????

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 11-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovePuppy View Post
Wait, his beer was a Weizen. Didn't his patience ruin it?????
Technically, yes it did....but I wasn't going to tell him that....

Boodlemania, uh...Wheat beers are traditionally served young and are cloudy from yeast in suspension...so in the future you might want to save this trick for non wheat beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Boodlemania, uh...Wheat beers are traditionally served young and are cloudy from yeast in suspension...so in the future you might want to save this trick for non wheat beers.

Precisely why I was confused! I just hope I can replicate on my non-wheat beers!

- CStone

Quick Reply