Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AG Setup - A Few Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
phatuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post
I couldn't find the BTUs for this - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/ref=pe_88200_17143410_pe_vfe_d1 - on the page, but it seems from the comments that it would work just fine (thanks for the link phatuna)
185,000 http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/high-pressure-cooker.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatuna View Post
Thanks!

Free shipping too! I may have to pull the trigger on that right now...

Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #13
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used that one for a long time. It's a workhorse. just remember, when you get past your hotbreak, turn the burner waaaay down so that the wort is just "rolling". if you leave it wide open, you'll burn propane unnecesarily and your evaporation rate will be extremely high.

have fun!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
coastwx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
I went with a 20-gallon aluminum pot from eBay - $60
3 Stainless ball lock weldless from bargain fittings - $27 each totaling $83 (brass would be cheaper)
Got the 10-gal igloo water cooler for $20
Used my 9-gallon former BK as the HLT - $repurpose (originally $55)
Weldless termometer kit and 3-inch probe thermometer from bargain fittings - $31
pasta roller grain mill from Michaels - $15 (required some DIY carpentry)
burner was a turkey fryer setup from amazon - $40 (no pot)
3/8x50' Immersion chiller copper from eBay - $35
fittings from home depot - $2.50

That's the bulk of my setup. It was pieced together over time, but in total I kept it under $350. I can do 10-gallon batches up to 1.070 without having to use extract. The two limitations for me right now are the 10-gal MLT and the 9-gallon HLT. Their a too small for big beers unless I'm doing a partial mash (using extract to boost abv).

I quickly went from doing 5 gal last winter to 10 gal batches in the spring, so the 20 gal aluminum brew pot is good advice. Plenty of boil room and all the water you need for mashing and at very little additional equipment cost. I find the Ice Cube (igloo) cooler makes a great MLT as I have done 30 lb grain bills which has yielded nice 1.070-1.080 IPA's. You can even get two Ice Cube coolers and use them as ice-water-bath fermenters. Get a strong propane burner and you'll be making 4.5 cases of good beer in 6-7 hours.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastwx View Post
I quickly went from doing 5 gal last winter to 10 gal batches in the spring, so the 20 gal aluminum brew pot is good advice. Plenty of boil room and all the water you need for mashing and at very little additional equipment cost. I find the Ice Cube (igloo) cooler makes a great MLT as I have done 30 lb grain bills which has yielded nice 1.070-1.080 IPA's. You can even get two Ice Cube coolers and use them as ice-water-bath fermenters. Get a strong propane burner and you'll be making 4.5 cases of good beer in 6-7 hours.
I'm contemplating a bigger HLT and going the Ice Cube route but if I spent another penny on equipment, the CFO would kill me. We have too many underfunded house projects for me to keep spending on my completely functional brew system.

I don't really need to do more than 5 gallons of that 1.120 stout do I?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
Jeebas

Recipes 

One of the other concerns that I have is if i go outside to this addition (see attached image) I am now removing myself from a sink. I thought there would be two ways of getting around this
1) Fill a bucket (or two) up with all of the mash, sparge water that I will need for the batch. Add water to BK when needed and heat mash / sparge water on propane burner. this would eat up more propane but might be better than
2) Heat mash and sparge water inside and carry pots of 160 / 180 water through the house and out to the addition to put into MLT. This would also require two trips, but would save on propane.

Another issue that I thought of was the wort chiller - I am fairly certain that I could hook up the garden hose to this but I'm not sure what to do with the output water? I don't have a drain in that room, and since it's over a carport I really don't want to add any plumbing to it. I could maybe just have two empty buckets to drain it into and then switch it over once the one gets full and periodically dump the water outside? Not very green I know, but I can't think of any other solution than attaching the end of the output tube from the wort chiller to a garden hose and running that back inside to the sink.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #17
Jeebas

Recipes 

Has anyone had any experience using these - http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_089W477221110001P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6& blockType=G6 - as an MLT?

Old 10-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #18
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post
Yes that is my MLT. It is a good price as I bought mine for $32. I ash at 151 -154 and have not had any problems holding temperature. It does not matter if I preheat or simply ad my hot water. I have done 6 batches in it and have not had any problems, including the sides warping from the mash temps.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #19
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been using the setup you're considering now and love it. I use the MLT described, a propane burner, 20qt stockpot, and keggle. If you can avoid it, don't carry hot water through the house, it's just asking for an accident. What I do is use my stockpot on the propane burner for heating all my mash/sparge water, and drain the MLT into the keggle. To save time, once my last sparge water has been added to the MLT, I throw the keggle on the heat to start it on its way to a boil.

For your hose water question, you have a couple options. The first and hottest water usually goes into my MLT (after the grain is emptied, of course), which gets some oxyclean added to it, and all my brew-day equipment that fits gets thrown in there for a good cleaning soak. Since you can't let the water just run off into the carport, maybe you can try a pond pump and a cooler or bucket full of ice. Since the ground water temp here in Florida tends to be too hot most of the year for adequate beer cooling, I use one of these submersed in a cooler full of ice and some water to pump chilled water into the wort chiller, with the output water recirculated back into the cooler. I usually don't switch to that setup until the wort is somewhat chilled, so as to not waste ice, but as long as you get enough ice, it should work fine for you. Best of luck man!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #20
Jeebas

Recipes 

I've read many threads on the aluminum vs SS debate and the pros and cons of both. What do folks think about these - http://www.cooksdirect.com/product/economy-aluminum-stock-pots/stock-pots

Half the price of the SS ones!

Quick Reply