Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AG Setup - A Few Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default AG Setup - A Few Questions

So I've been reading around here for the last week or so, contemplating what I'll need to make the jump to AG. I've already got a wort chiller (hooray for LHBS gift certificates as wedding gifts!) and a 20 qt. brewpot that I have been using for extract batches. And all of the fermenting, bottling doo-dads and whatnot.

I was thinking I could do this - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/ for the MLT fairly simple. And then I would just need a brewpot with a spigot and some kind of tubing to transfer the liquid from the MLT to the brewpot and then from the brewpot to the fermenter - any suggestions (on the brewpot and what kind of tubing to use?) I really don't trust myself to try a keg conversion on my own, and I don't think I was be able to use my stove top anymore - there's only a 19.5" clearance from the burners to the hood. Anything else that I am forgetting?

Also, I have been doing all of my extract brewing on my kitchen stove, is there any reason folks do with the standalone burners or is is it more to get out of the way of SWMBO?

This site is awesome, I definitely spend way too much of the workday on here some days! Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

I use the MLT in the link provided and it works great. I don't use a hose to transfer the runnings from the MLT to the boiling pot. I use ale pails. Quick and easy. I use a propane burner not just because it gets me outta the house but because there is no way my kitchen stove could bring 6-7 gallons of wort to a boil. As far as tubing for your pot to get the wort into your fermenter....I'm sure there is a specific type to use, but, I've been using plain ole racking tubing for the last 2 years or so. I ain't dead yet.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
tunoffun
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you don't mind paying a bit for tubing, Norprene A-60-F hot food & liquid tubing is food grade & rated for 275-degrees or so. That's what I used and I'm very happy with it. very flexible, doesn't appear to impart any flavor or odor, and will handle even boiling liquids w/ ease. I don't know of any brewshops that carry it (a coupe online places did but were out of stock). I bought mine from usplastics.com... only sold in 10' increments though.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Jeebas

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I use the MLT in the link provided and it works great. I don't use a hose to transfer the runnings from the MLT to the boiling pot. I use ale pails. Quick and easy. I use a propane burner not just because it gets me outta the house but because there is no way my kitchen stove could bring 6-7 gallons of wort to a boil. As far as tubing for your pot to get the wort into your fermenter....I'm sure there is a specific type to use, but, I've been using plain ole racking tubing for the last 2 years or so. I ain't dead yet.
Does anyone else have this issue? Is it just "I don't want to wait the amount of time it takes to get 7 gallons to a boil" or its just never gonna do it. I wasn't planning on forking out for a burner. But then again, all this stuff is adding up to more than I foolishly initially expected:

15 gallon brewpot (I'm figuring why not buy a larger one to do larger batches now) - Whether I go Polarware (with thermometer added on) or Boilermaker, its looking around $300-350 - I decided I didn't want to go the keggle route as it would limit me to keeping it out of my kitchen.
Grain Mill - $120-140
Cooler and Hardware to Make Mash Tun $50-70

So looking at $470-560

So whats another $100 or so for a burner and stand? Then again that's setting up the burner in my basement (No real garage at my place, just a carport) limits my access to clean water.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post
Does anyone else have this issue? .
It depends on what kind of stove you have. many have electric and it's just not going to bring that amount of wort to temp.

If you have a higher end gas stove that will put out some good btu's then you can do it.

I will tell you that my propane burner kicks out 170,000 BTU's. My gas stoves biggest burner kicks out 15,000 btu's or therabouts. That's significant.

Also, If you are looking at 15 gallon pots, you must be considering doing 10 gallon batches (or why else would you get a pot that size?). No stove that I know will get 13 gallons up to boil.

You can save costs from what you describe above. look at craigslist, but a 15 gallon pot from an asian restaurant, grainmills don't have to cost 100+ - search "my ugly junk corona mill" in the search field above for ideas.

If you are at all handy, a lot of homebrew supplies can be DIY and save yourself a ton of $$

fyi: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/bayo...s-sale-199363/

Old 10-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post
Does anyone else have this issue? Is it just "I don't want to wait the amount of time it takes to get 7 gallons to a boil" or its just never gonna do it. I wasn't planning on forking out for a burner. But then again, all this stuff is adding up to more than I foolishly initially expected:

15 gallon brewpot (I'm figuring why not buy a larger one to do larger batches now) - Whether I go Polarware (with thermometer added on) or Boilermaker, its looking around $300-350 - I decided I didn't want to go the keggle route as it would limit me to keeping it out of my kitchen.
Grain Mill - $120-140
Cooler and Hardware to Make Mash Tun $50-70

So looking at $470-560

So whats another $100 or so for a burner and stand? Then again that's setting up the burner in my basement (No real garage at my place, just a carport) limits my access to clean water.
I went with a 20-gallon aluminum pot from eBay - $60
3 Stainless ball lock weldless from bargain fittings - $27 each totaling $83 (brass would be cheaper)
Got the 10-gal igloo water cooler for $20
Used my 9-gallon former BK as the HLT - $repurpose (originally $55)
Weldless termometer kit and 3-inch probe thermometer from bargain fittings - $31
pasta roller grain mill from Michaels - $15 (required some DIY carpentry)
burner was a turkey fryer setup from amazon - $40 (no pot)
3/8x50' Immersion chiller copper from eBay - $35
fittings from home depot - $2.50

That's the bulk of my setup. It was pieced together over time, but in total I kept it under $350. I can do 10-gallon batches up to 1.070 without having to use extract. The two limitations for me right now are the 10-gal MLT and the 9-gallon HLT. They are too small for big beers unless I'm doing a partial mash (using extract to boost abv).

Old 10-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd highly suggest a cheaper Stainless pot unless you really want the pretty factor. You can probably but it by half if you go with one of these, which are still very good pots, just not brand name:

http://www.cooksdirect.com/product/1...edium=referral

Old 10-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts

I do up to 8 gallon boils on my electric ceramic top range. It takes about 20-30 minutes for me to get a boil. I seem however to be in the minority whose stoves are able to handle this.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Jeebas

Recipes 

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am realizing more and more that getting a burner might be the best route. Now that I think about it, although I don't have the garage I do have this outside addition room (base board heating if I ever decide to rbew on a really cold day) that sits on top of the carport that would work - no stairs to carry water / full MLT to and from the kitchen.

I was looking to eventually do 10 gallon batches... I figured that if I am gonna drop the $ I may as well plan ahead. Are there any issues with doing boils for 5 gallon batches in 15 gallon BKs?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Jeebas

Recipes 

I couldn't find the BTUs for this - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/...3410_pe_vfe_d1 - on the page, but it seems from the comments that it would work just fine (thanks for the link phatuna)

Quick Reply