Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > AG need LME or DME?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
EnjoyGoodBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Doing reasearch here was thinking about going AG. My question is if doing AG you dont use DME or LME right? This is was what I was thinking about even before I rolled out of bed. Thanks for the input fellas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
Doing reasearch here was thinking about going AG. My question is if doing AG you dont use DME or LME right? This is was what I was thinking about even before I rolled out of bed. Thanks for the input fellas.
Right. But it won't hurt to have some on hand, just in case you miss your desired gravity the first time and you can add some DME to make up the difference.

I still buy DME occasionally, to use it for starters, but I haven't used any in a brew for years.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 427

The vast majority of the time, you don't use any extract. You can use it if you want to boost your OG either because you missed your mark, or you're shooting for a super high OG.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

As stated the only time you would want to use it is if you miss your OG or want to brew a really big beer and don't have the capacity to fit the grain bill. If you plan on using liquid yeast strains you should always have some extra light DME on hand so you can always make starters!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Cool. Just watched a few AG vids on utube last night and it actually seemed fairly easy and the most important for me little more your own brew plus you know it will be fresh.

Should I use yeast starters all the time? I havr done 6 batches with extract in the past 7 weeks but I have not done one yeast starter. If you know a good link on that Ill take a look at it.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman
As stated the only time you would want to use it is if you miss your OG or want to brew a really big beer and don't have the capacity to fit the grain bill. If you plan on using liquid yeast strains you should always have some extra light DME on hand so you can always make starters!
LME on hand? Meaning you can just use a little bit and store the rest? If you do store it does it need to be in the fridge?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
Should I use yeast starters all the time? I havr done 6 batches with extract in the past 7 weeks but I have not done one yeast starter. If you know a good link on that Ill take a look at it.
you should almost always make a starter - unless you are making a small (low-gravity) beer with fresh yeast, in which case a straight up vial or smack-pack should be enough. this applies only to liquid yeast. no need for a starter with dry yeast.

check this out:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

use MrMalty http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to figure out how big a starter to make. make the starter 48 hours before your brewday. let the starter run for 24 hours, then crash it for 24 hours in your fridge.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell
you should almost always make a starter - unless you are making a small (low-gravity) beer with fresh yeast, in which case a straight up vial or smack-pack should be enough. this applies only to liquid yeast. no need for a starter with dry yeast.

check this out:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

use MrMalty http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to figure out how big a starter to make. make the starter 48 hours before your brewday. let the starter run for 24 hours, then crash it for 24 hours in your fridge.
So what exactly is a "small beer"? I have done 2 beers (over 7% are those big?) and it was with dry yeast should it be okay if I didt make a starter?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

small beer = low OG, something like 1.050 or less. over 7% = big beers

dry yeast does not need a starter. you can, however, rehydrate it before pitching. most yeast packs have instructions printed on them, typically it's something like "sprinkle into 10 times its own weight of water, at 80*F, let sit for 15 minutes then mix for 15 more". see the manufacturer's website for specific instructions on your yeast's preferred method of rehydration. this isn't strictly necessary, you can make fine beer by just sprinkling the yeast directly over the wort - however you'll have more yeast cells if you rehydrate.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 09-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Thanks sweetcell, hopefully in the next 2 months imma get into AG cant wait looks like even more fun.

Also i have a belgum triple and an emperial blond ale in the primary. How long should I let thosr sit? Like 5 or 6 months? Then like a month or two in bottles? Those are around 7 to 8 ABV

Quick Reply