Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > A after thought

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
jhuyser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A after thought

I have 2 batches under my belt thus far. Amber Autumn Ale and Grand Cru. My mind of logic just got to thinking. I always throw my hope pellets in a bag. When you are doing a kit and they have you had hops for 60 minutes at first boil (after adding malt) and then another hop in last 5 minutes..

When you are done with boil do you take the hopes out or leave them in during primary fermintation.. The recipes never really say leave in take out... hhhhmmm

sucks when work is slow and all you have to do is read the brew forum and think of odd things

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
vipe228
Recipes 

I like thick, malty, beers that you have to chew on and it counts as a meal. I like minimal hop flavor so I always pull mine out.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I leave them in, they go into the fermenter and fall out in the trub.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's one of those things that is a matter of personal preference and nothing else. Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller I just dumped for the majority of my batches. And I still managed to do well in contests...

I find that long primaries render my beer just as clear, and crisp tasting regardless of whether I dumped it all in or not....so I just do what works for me.....

You have to realize that in brewing there are many way to achieve the same goal, and they all work. There's rarely a single right way or best way to do something, just the way that is best for you.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Grippe

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I bag 'em and screen filter into primary, but then again I'm not a hophead and prefer european styles that are more subtle over cascadian hop-bombs.

Na Zdraví! Více Pivo!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
jhuyser
Recipes 

thanks for input, much appreciated.. first bottling session this weekend

Old 12-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
BamaRooster
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I strain them out, just the way I do it.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1768 Posts
Likes Given: 1496

I'm going back to using hop sacks,sinse last time I was straining it all out after chilling into the FV,& the darn strainer got too full & tipped over. I'll keep straining into the FV though. It gets out cold break other grainy stuff. It also aerates chilled wort & top off water quite well.

Quick Reply