Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > after taste of multiple batches off flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
TimGleason
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default after taste of multiple batches off flavor

Hello,

I have made 3 extract brews and the aftertaste for all of them is similar. The flavor can be described as slightly bitter almost dry tasting. it is not terrible and I still enjoy the beer but would prefer that it not be their. Perhaps it is my water that is doing it? Is this a common problem for other brewers? and if anyone can identify this problem how Can i prevent it? Thanks for anyone that can offer any comments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
mrduna01
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Are you using any means to control the temp of your fermentor?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
TimGleason
Recipes 

no I am not...

Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #4
CABeerMaker
Recipes 

I agree with mrduna the problem could be from fermenting at too high of a temp. Try getting a hand on your fermenting temps and see if this corrects the problem. Also with extract, if the extract is old you may get some off flavors there. If you are geting kits from the top suppliers online they have a good turnover so their supplies tend to be fresher. Good luck and let us know how the next batch turns out.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
TimGleason
Recipes 

I feel that you are correct. My beer ferments out in 2-3 days it seems and goes crazy the whole way through. Does fermenting to rapidly produce off flavors? I try to ferment at around 66 room temperature but have never thought to check the temperature of the wort. What should my goal temperature be for ales in general..thought 66 or so?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
mrduna01
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGleason
I feel that you are correct. My beer ferments out in 2-3 days it seems and goes crazy the whole way through. Does fermenting to rapidly produce off flavors? I try to ferment at around 66 room temperature but have never thought to check the temperature of the wort. What should my goal temperature be for ales in general..thought 66 or so?
The fermentation its self produces heat so at 60 ambient temp your wort is a few degrees over 70 more than likely. Most ale yeast start to produce off flavors over 68 or 70. You want to be in the 65 range. Put your fermenter in a tub of water with a couple frozen 2 liters and change out the two liters once a day for the first week or two and this will keep the fermentor cool enough to not produce any off flavors due to temp. You will probably see a big difference!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #7
TimGleason
Recipes 

Thank you for the explanation. I will take advantage of your tip in the future. Unfortunately I just bottled a batch, have 1 in the primary, and one in the secondary that I fermented very similarly. Oh well, it is still very drinkable and I will have something to look forward to for my next batch and improving upon.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
mrduna01
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGleason
Thank you for the explanation. I will take advantage of your tip in the future. Unfortunately I just bottled a batch, have 1 in the primary, and one in the secondary that I fermented very similarly. Oh well, it is still very drinkable and I will have something to look forward to for my next batch and improving upon.
Before I did the fermentor in water method I had the same kind of thing going on. It wasn't bad by any standards but noticeable. But you have made beer good enough to fuel your interest in the hobby as I did so to that I say cheers!

Quick Reply