Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > After ice bath wort chilling. Darker "sludge" question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
wulfsburg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default After ice bath wort chilling. Darker "sludge" question

In my northern brewer extract kits, it says not to transfer any "sludge" from the bottom of your brew pot after chilling your wort. I don't ever have any "sludge" per say.... its just a darker colored wort mixture with pieces of my hop pellets in it (this is just the extract and hops settling after lowering to a different temperature) . All of my beer has turned out pretty damn good, but my question is... should I be leaving the last 4-5 ounces of darker wort in the bottom of the pot, and not transfering it to my primary? Is it going to make that fine line of good vs great beer?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just transfer it all, maybe strain the larger chunks out only to make transferring easier later on, all these "pieces" are good yeast food and in my opinion make the beer more complex.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You can dump it all in if you want, or strain it, or siphon it and leave the break material in the brew pot. It will all settle to the bottom of the primary in time and you will leave it behind when transfer to bottle. The only time you might want to consider leaving the break material in the pot is if you are making a very light beer, like a pilsner of light lager.

Quick Reply