Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > After bottling, straight to cold temp or keep at room temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
elmetal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well I mean in terms of lagering you fermented in the low 50s, then diacetyl rest then actual close to 32F lagering period.

as far as whether the yeast go dormant during the lagering period I don't know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
well I mean in terms of lagering you fermented in the low 50s, then diacetyl rest then actual close to 32F lagering period.

as far as whether the yeast go dormant during the lagering period I don't know.
Lager yeast doesn't. ale yeast does.

It's really doubtful he made a lager for his first brew.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know he didn't, I think he was just wondering about how the yeast reacts to fridge temperature.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
CROM
Recipes 

yeah its a Ale this time around... lager the next time though

Old 10-30-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
PaintAddict
Recipes 

Ok, so everyone says condition at room temp for 3 weeks but what do you do when you are kegging beer. That gets put into the keg and then put in the fridge right away. Please explain!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintAddict View Post
Ok, so everyone says condition at room temp for 3 weeks but what do you do when you are kegging beer. That gets put into the keg and then put in the fridge right away. Please explain!
With kegging you are force carbing...so the co2 isn't forming naturally (and slowly) like it is with bottle conditioned beer...That's why it is called force carbing, they are forcing it to carb...

They are not relying on the living yeast to do the brunt of the job...so there is no concern about putting the yeast to sleep with cold temps.

BUT you will find if you look around here, that most experienced brewers DON'T put it into the fridge right away, they too condition their beer for a couple weeks at room temp. They may put in on the gas, but they often don't put it into the drinking rotation til they've kicked a keg, so they ARE conditioning their beer as well. It's really only the newer brewers that rush that too. `

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 AM   #17
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

3 weeks at room temp, bottle or keg. You can also just prime the keg with sugar without co2, turn it upside down to make sure it doesn't leak, purge the air in a day or two, or three, or four, or . . . .

Quick Reply