Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > After bottling, straight to cold temp or keep at room temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
CROM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default After bottling, straight to cold temp or keep at room temp?

Hey everyone, Ive tried looking around for an answer to this question before posting this thread with no clear cut answer...

after I seal my bottles, should I leave them at room temperature for a week or more , then put them in the fridge?... or can I put the bottles right away in the fridge...?

I'm worried if I put the bottles in the fridge right away it wont carb right, but Im thinking if I do put them in the fridge right away it will help keep the sediment at the bottom of the bottle (im hoping it will cake and stick to the bottom actually)

I know someone is going to say, why not just leave it at room temp, then just leave it in the fridge longer... I was just wondering if there was an added benefit to putting them in the fridge right away...

Im using a cooper's bitter Ale extract malt kit for this batch...

Thanks so much guys, this site rocks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

3 weeks at room temp, then fridge, it will take alot longer to carb in the fridge.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would leave room temp for at LEAST 3 weeks, then 1-2 weeks in fridge then drink..

you can drink before then but that's what I feel to be the good time to drink.

bigger beers take longer to carb also note

Old 10-29-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
CROM
Recipes 

so then, I gotta wonder, if its room temp for 2-3 weeks, then put in the fridge, why keep it in the fridge any longer then it needs to be to be cold enough to drink?

why leave it a 1-2 weeks in the fridge if its not going to do anything else in there?

does it help keep sediment at the bottom? Ive heard that it helps, but really how much? is it worth it?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

itll pack the yeast cake, and get rid of any chill haze.

also, put one in the fridge for a day and one for 2 weeks and taste them. the fridge conditioning adds some flavor meshing, it's hard to describe. it's worth it to keep as much as you can in the fridge in my experience. but yeah it's just a preference really.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
CROM
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
itll pack the yeast cake, and get rid of any chill haze.

also, put one in the fridge for a day and one for 2 weeks and taste them. the fridge conditioning adds some flavor meshing, it's hard to describe. it's worth it to keep as much as you can in the fridge in my experience. but yeah it's just a preference really.
ahh cool cool, thanks for the info everyone, you guys are awesome!

man, waiting is the hardest part...

Old 10-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would recommend you trying on day 10 and then maybe once every 3-5 days after day. that way you get an idea of how it all changes and happens

anytime before a week and it'll not only be uncarbonated but will be very odd tasting.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's my understanding that the yeast will become dormant in the fridge when it's bottled due to the colder temperatures.

However, if you were lagering (I know little of the process), would this still hold true?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know much about lagering.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmetal View Post
I don't know much about lagering.
If you fermented your beer in a refridgerator then you made a lager. If you didn't more than likely you made and ale. But either way whether it was an ale or a lager, doesn't matter, you STILL carb both type of beers the same way. a Minimum 3 weeks @ 70 degrees or higher.

I explain the process in great detail here; Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply