Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > After 2 weeks in secondary - air lock activity again?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
paino_8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default After 2 weeks in secondary - air lock activity again?!

Hi All. Finally registered...no longer a voyeur. Brewing an amber ale with fresh apricots for my first batch (I know, I know...KISS, but I didn't) and seem to have ran into a problem. I racked the beer on top of chopped up apricots (froze them the day before...did not sanitize as alcohol content of beer was at least 5% - probably an error there) about 17 days ago. I was just about to bottle and I noticed activity in the air lock! There was nothing going on there for at least a week! For the past two days it's bubbling every 20-30 seconds or about every minute. Anybody know what this is or what the impact of this may be???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paino_8 View Post
I know, I know...KISS, but I didn't
Indeed.

Has the temperature gone up recently? Increased temperature can lead to CO2 escaping the beer.

In any case, you're probably fine.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe

Old 07-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

could be an infection. you need to sanitize fruit before adding it in. that 5% rule is something of a fantasy; real world doesn't work perfectly. let it go for a while, then post pics in a week or so when you start getting the yeast strings across the top. could also be off-gassing; beer getting rid of excess co2

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
paino_8
Recipes 

thanks, gents. No change in temp...still in same room in same house. No bumping, no vaccuuming, etc. Infection sounds bad...

What are yeast strands and how will I know what they look like? At anyrate, happy to take a pic and post. Don't do anything until airlock activity ceases, right?

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
thanks, gents. No change in temp...still in same room in same house. No bumping, no vaccuuming, etc. Infection sounds bad...

What are yeast strands and how will I know what they look like? At anyrate, happy to take a pic and post. Don't do anything until airlock activity ceases, right?

Thanks.
Have you taken gravity readings? No way to tell why the airlock's bubbling at this point, but a few gravity readings will tell you if the beer is fermenting or not, which is one of many causes of air lock bubbles.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #6
paino_8
Recipes 

@ Nordeast - No readings. My kit unfortunately didn't come with one (Austin Homebrew Supply Father's day special). All I have is that airlock letting me know if I'm going to live or die

Old 07-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
@ Nordeast - No readings. My kit unfortunately didn't come with one (Austin Homebrew Supply Father's day special). All I have is that airlock letting me know if I'm going to live or die
Then all you know is your airlock is bubbling not WHY.....

Get one. Order online if you have to. All airlock activity means is that you have or don't have airlock activity...nothing else.

Airlocks start and stop for various reasons. Including barometric pressure. or a truck rumbling by on the street. Or the other reasons mentioned or not...Long before it could be an infection.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #8
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You can even make your own hydrometer. It won't tell you how much alcohol there is but it can tell you if it is changing.

http://m.wikihow.com/Make-a-Hydrometer

Old 07-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #9
paino_8
Recipes 

Thanks all. Take away is it's silly to speculate at this point. Get (or make) a hydrometer. Noted.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Erroneous
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Not sure why it hasn't been mentioned yet but it is probably just yeast eating sugars from the apricots.

Quick Reply