Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > aeration system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #1
superman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default aeration system

My father in law is on oxygen, he says i can have a regulator and use all the tanks i want, it is pure oxygen which is ideal for aerating wort right? All I should need is some hose and a stainless airstone correct? My next question is how long and how hard should i aerate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman
My father in law is on oxygen, he says i can have a regulator and use all the tanks i want, it is pure oxygen which is ideal for aerating wort right? All I should need is some hose and a stainless airstone correct? My next question is how long and how hard should i aerate?
Yes, get it! Medical oxygen systems are not always easy to obtain.

Yes, tubing and an airstone should be all you need, unless you also want to add an inline HEPA filter, too. They are very cheap ($5 or so, I think), and probably worth the cheap insurance.

On this site, I have seen recommendations for aerating that range from 20 seconds to 4 minutes. I use a 45 second blast myself. Personally, I think what is most important is that you agitate/mix your worth the whole time to ensure that the oxygen gets mixed in well. I typically ferment in glass carboys, and I just sort of swirl the carboy around while oxygenating to mix everything in. I have always had great ferments using the O2 system (but not always true for other batches where I did not).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply