The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aeration?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #41
W0rthog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was basing my previous comment on this statement found on the link you shared from Wyeast. I am new to brewing and therefore still learning. Your feedback is appreciated.

"Over-oxygenation is generally not a concern as the yeast will use all available oxygen within 3 to 9 hours of pitching and oxygen will come out of solution during that time as well. Under-oxygenation is a much bigger concern."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #42
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I agree with that quote. They are the pros when it comes to yeast. It's the "generally" in the first line and that they recommend 10ppm and show that 26ppm is possible that leads me to believe that more is not always better.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #43
W0rthog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I found this comment (below) by David_42 in the thread you posted. However, others mentioned that while the yeast may not be affected that their experience shows that it oxygen level may contribute to the flavor of the beer.

""Over-oxygenation" - Let's nip this factoid now.

I asked a couple yeast techs from Wyeast about this last night. They said that you cannot stress the yeast by oxygenating the wort, unless you do it continuously for hours. Fully oxygenating the wort at the beginning of the fermentation is not a problem, unless there was something wrong with your starter & the yeast were stressed before pitching."

Quick Reply