New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aeration?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
CaptMogul
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aeration

I have been using a fish tank air pump with no problem but some say that OXY is better so yesterday I hooked my stone to my OXY regulator on my welding set. Looking to see if there is any difference in the fermention today

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #12
mthelm85
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeebs View Post
I had a friend tell me today that once your beer has been fermenting for about a week, you should crack it open and aerate it again to get the yeast active again. Any truth to this?
That's a bad idea......yeast just need the oxygen to multiply but they don't actually begin the fermentation process until they have used all of the oxygen up.....you want to make sure they multiply to the proper numbers BEFORE fermentation starts....if your friend is having to aerate his beer after it's been fermenting for a week it's because he's not starting with the right amount of yeast up front and his finished product isn't nearly as good as it could be if he were pitching the correct amount

Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
tnsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey capt....I have been thinking bout using a air pump as well...do you use a filter if some sort with a sanitizer in it?....I have been thinking about making a homemade filter with cotton balls soaked in starsan as a filter..maybe a 35mm film cup....or maybe just not worry bout it...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 16

There are filters for it that have very tight filtration. They're about $4 each at the brew stores. I suspect a cotton ball filter wouldn't have nearly the same micron rating and efficiency as one of the purpose filters.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/in-line-sanitary-filter.html

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Bottled: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein
Drinking: Hank's Hefeweizen
Drinking: Maibock

"Charlie don't surf."

Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
tnsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thankx 99..I dident know those were available, I learn something every time I visit this site...I really need to improve aeration...I almost went for the paint mixer idea but I dont want to scratch the inside of my bucket. I think the air pump idea is the way to go as I could use it in my carboy as well as bucket, with a racking cane to get it it the bottom of the carboy, I already have an air pump I use just for drying tubing and such.....chers....Tom

Old 11-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
cheesehed007
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Maybe this is where I went wrong. I did my first brew 10 days ago. I didn't know to mix things up after I chilled everything down. Racked it to my carboy, took a SG reading and it read low. 1.026. Figured I was reading mostly water and pitched my yeast (s 05) didn't start fermenting till later the next day 24 hrs at least. Just took my first FG reading and it was 1.012. Target is to be 1.015-1.018. Took a little tast and it had a sour taste. I made a Brewers Best Imperial Blonde Ale. The color s dark, not a blonde.. Thoughts. Could not mixing it up good before I pitched course the low readings?? Thanks for any and all help. Cheers!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehed007
Maybe this is where I went wrong. I did my first brew 10 days ago. I didn't know to mix things up after I chilled everything down. Racked it to my carboy, took a SG reading and it read low. 1.026. Figured I was reading mostly water and pitched my yeast (s 05) didn't start fermenting till later the next day 24 hrs at least. Just took my first FG reading and it was 1.012. Target is to be 1.015-1.018. Took a little tast and it had a sour taste. I made a Brewers Best Imperial Blonde Ale. The color s dark, not a blonde.. Thoughts. Could not mixing it up good before I pitched course the low readings?? Thanks for any and all help. Cheers!
Not getting a good mix is typical in all extract beer so that is why your gravity reading was off.

Aeration is important because yeast need the O2 for the initial growth phase. This is why your fermentation was delayed.

As for sour, that is more a sign of infection than poor aeration, are you sure you taste sour and not something else? How did you sanitize everything and what product did you use?

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Any specific models of paint stirring drill attachments (that fit in a better bottle)?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
cheesehed007
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman

Not getting a good mix is typical in all extract beer so that is why your gravity reading was off.

Aeration is important because yeast need the O2 for the initial growth phase. This is why your fermentation was delayed.

As for sour, that is more a sign of infection than poor aeration, are you sure you taste sour and not something else? How did you sanitize everything and what product did you use?
I used "easy clean" it came with my starter kit from my LHBS. No not sure it's a true sour taste. It wasn't a pucker you face sour. Just not what I was expecting. I'll take another reading tomorrow and taste it again. Thanks for he help!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
jlillie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I bought a bait well aerater from West Marine for 15 bucks. I've used these before in my bait wells on teh boat for shrimp and i knew they will last forever on 2 D cell batteries. I Use it for 30 minutes prior to pitching every batch. Be warned, it will cause you to loose maybe pint or so of wort from bubbling out the top of the carboy. Never had a problem with the bubbling overspill with the bucket though.

Quick Reply