Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To aerate, not to aerate, that is the question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #21
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

your going to be fine if you repitched,if you want to check it in a week or two im shure it will be good and dropping. Im not getting the when you checked you first reading of how long after pitching,seems there is alot of misunderstanding in this thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #22
By-Tor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
My OG 1.170 Barleywine that has been in a tertiary for a year and will be in bottles for around 4 more years is finished at 1.040.

There was plenty of yeast (two strains actually, with HUGE starters) plenty of initial aeration in the first 24 hours as recommended by the folks at white labs, and plenty of yeast nutrients, and at 17.6% ABV it's done.

If you've tried everything (warming, swirling, re-yeasting) and did everything right, and you've made sure that that all the unfermentables are gone, then yes it is safe to bottle. But you have to make sure.
ah crap, it's already in secondary, originally pitched 2 packs 04, should i pitch a pack in the secondary?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #23
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I did make a mistake by not having a starter and have another thread on that beer specifically on OG being 1.100 and me finally getting it down to 1.080. I mentioned then I didn't have a starter and was worried about under pitching. It seems that the majority that came out of that thread was to pitch what I had to get something going and address it from there. Well, I had some fermentation and on day 5, I took a gravity reading. It was 1.050. 6 days later, I checked again and it was the same...stuck at 1.050. So I had 6 days of stalled fermentation even after trying to re-ignite the yeast with no success. I re-pitched what I had which was a packet of Notty. I haven't taken a gravity reading after pitching as I just pitched today. This beer has been doomed since the beginning. I followed the recipe which was an extract with steeping grains and somehow came up with a 1.080 when it should have been closer to 1.060 OG. It has plagued me since the start. So, if re-pitching and some aeration ruins this beer, then the only thing more I lost was a buck packet of yeast.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post
ah crap, it's already in secondary, originally pitched 2 packs 04, should i pitch a pack in the secondary?
How long has it been in secondary?

The mere act of racking is often helps kick up fermentation because the yeasts get woken up.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 AM   #25
jonmohno
Recipes 

Do you have alot of chlorimine in your water?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:25 AM   #26
By-Tor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
How long has it been in secondary?

The mere act of racking is often helps kick up fermentation because the yeasts get woken up.
been in secondary for a week and a half, and i will say there was a bit of action in the airlock, but just a little.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:07 AM   #27
jonmohno
Recipes 

Probably more than enough, i usually get 0 airlock activity. Using a wide mouth glas carboy with a kind of shoddy lid for it,i guess.I seal it up with tape and everything but never get bubbles,but always a finish gravity.
Make shure your hydrometer is correct and you thermometers, ive had one off about 12 deg.that i discovered after 2 batches.You never know whats right under your nose sometimes

Quick Reply