HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To aerate, not to aerate, that is the question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
Rev2010
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 460

If you splashed a bit don't worry about it, it likely wont do any harm at all unless you really went crazy. Just try to avoid that next time and definitely don't aerate at this point. As for Revvy, he can be rather blunt sometimes but he has the best of intentions and is always willing to devote his time helping people here so don't take his response the wrong way.

Rev.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2827 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post

And Revvy, I understand that it did actually ferment. Your sarcasm isn't needed or I wouldn't have asked the question. If this isn't a forum where we are free and open to ask even the most noobiest of questions, then what the hell good is it for beginners?
I'm not being sarcastic at all....

THIS is what YOU said..

Quote:
I don't have fermentation. It has stalled for almost a week at 1.050.
You say you don't have fermentation happening....All I did was point out that you do....

When you have a drop in gravity, you have fermentation....You may not be complete, but there is alcohol in there, hence a 30 point drop in gravity. So therefore you don't want to aerate.

Just because you don't agree with my answer, doesn't mean I've done anything wrong.....except bother to try to help.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #13
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, I'm not going to argue with you, but by saying I have fermention (When I meant that I haven't had fermention to completion and that it has stalled out at a high gravity for 6 days) and then that I can pitch if I want with no other advice as to why or why not, the post was in no way shape or form helping me...it was just making me feel stupid. So bravo to you for that sir. I'll just move along now....thanks to everyone else however. This thread can be closed.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #14
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 1226

Uhhhhhhhh. Any body mention temps? Why would this stall, lets look at this,what where your temps during fermentation? You didnt kill the yeast trying to hydrate with too high a temp?? Need some info and less bickering. NO offense.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #15
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Temps are between 64-68. Which you are basically asking the question that is at the root of all this. Stalled for 6 days, so I took the last resort from other threads of the similar nature and re-pitched. I then realized I aerated with some stirring which brought up the question. However, due to the nature that this thread has taken, I'd rather remove myself from it and seek my answers somewhere else.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #16
By-Tor
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

so is it ok to bottle a 1.099 OG at 1.040 FG?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #17
jonmohno
Recipes 

Sorry you feel that way,but how many days did you take this gravity check after repitching,excuse me if i failed to see this previous.You origionally pitched with Nottingham too or what yeast?One week with what yeast? Try rousing and getting the temps up if its too low?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #18
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I had stable gravity of 1.050 for 6 days. I re-pitched today. The original was a Wyeast smack pack and the Notty was all I had.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2827 Times on 1682 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post
so is it ok to bottle a 1.099 OG at 1.040 FG?
My OG 1.170 Barleywine that has been in a tertiary for a year and will be in bottles for around 4 more years is finished at 1.040.

There was plenty of yeast (two strains actually, with HUGE starters) plenty of initial aeration in the first 24 hours as recommended by the folks at white labs, and plenty of yeast nutrients, and at 17.6% ABV it's done.

If you've tried everything (warming, swirling, re-yeasting) and did everything right, and you've made sure that that all the unfermentables are gone, then yes it is safe to bottle. But you have to make sure.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 AM   #20
jonmohno
Recipes 

Ok from the little i know of wyeast and big beers is you need a starter. #2 answer Goldiggie's questions it will help.What are the specific temps for that wyeast? When is the last gravity you took after the notty pitch? Again.?

Quick Reply