Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To aerate, not to aerate, that is the question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default To aerate, not to aerate, that is the question?

So, I brewed a bigger brew a week and a half ago at 1.080. It stalled out at 1.050 and stayed that way for almost a week. I repitched a dry pack of Notty to try and stir things up. When I did, I splashed a little as I was stirring but didn't mean to as I was trying to do it with the lid just barely off enough for me to get the spoon in. I was trying to minimize infection possibilites and didn't think about aeration. So, if I'm repitching, oxygen isn't necessarily a bad thing at this point in time is it as it still has a long way to go from 1.050?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you have fermentation then you DON'T want to add any more arun the risk of oxydizing youir or you your beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I don't have fermentation. It has stalled for almost a week at 1.050.

However I did have some as it dropped from my OG 1.080 to 1.050. I added a new pack and only splashed a little. I guess it is what it is now so if it will oxidize after a little splashing, then this batch was already doomed.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I don't know what you call it, but if my og is 1.080, and it's now at 1.050, then I have fermentation in my beers...what the heck do you think that 30 point drop means, the temp of your fermenter??? There is now alcohol in there.

If you want to pitch more yeast, then do so, but don't add any more oxygen....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Might also help to know WHAT you actually brewed (recipe)... Is this extract, partial mash, or all grain? Depending on the recipe, the yeast might have already converted all of the fermentable sugars present in the batch. If so, then pitching more yeast is just tossing more away.

Also, how did you aerate/oxygenate the wort at the start? Did you use any yeast nutrient in the batch? What temperature has the batch (fermenting wort temp, not ambient) been at?

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #6
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Definitely don't aerate! No reason to. But I doubt the yeast stalled at 1.050 unless you severely underpitched. My only experience with a stalled fermentation at such a high gravity was from not calibrating the thermometer before my mash. I ended up denaturing the enzymes during the mash. It stalled at 1.040 and didn't taste even slightly sweet. Added some amylase and within half an hour, the yeast started forming a krausen again.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07
Definitely don't aerate! No reason to. But I doubt the yeast stalled at 1.050 unless you severely underpitched. My only experience with a stalled fermentation at such a high gravity was from not calibrating the thermometer before my mash. I ended up denaturing the enzymes during the mash. It stalled at 1.040 and didn't taste even slightly sweet. Added some amylase and within half an hour, the yeast started forming a krausen again.
Why is it hard to beleive? I had a stout stall at 1.04 and I slightly over pitched. I never tried the amylase but the things I did try didn't work and it ended up getting dumped.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #8
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

It's hard to believe because yeast don't usually do that. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just unlikely. I think it's more likely that there is too much unfermentable sugar or unconverted starch.

Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 11-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #9
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The taste is extremely sweet, so there is still fermentables in there. I've already pitched the 2nd packet of yeast and did slightly splash, so if it ends up ruining the beer, then I'm out a buck on yeast with a beer that was already turning out to be a PITA brew anyways. The beer stalled out for 6 days at the same gravity, so being so high, I was seeing what the damage would have been if I did slightly aerate as well as adding more yeast.

And Revvy, I understand that it did actually ferment. Your sarcasm isn't needed or I wouldn't have asked the question. If this isn't a forum where we are free and open to ask even the most noobiest of questions, then what the hell good is it for beginners?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #10
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07
It's hard to believe because yeast don't usually do that. I'm not saying that it's not possible, just unlikely. I think it's more likely that there is too much unfermentable sugar or unconverted starch.
It's actually pretty common. Could be temperature change, under-aerating, under-pitch, the yeast could just floc too quickly. Lots of ways it could happen.

Quick Reply