The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Aerate before or after pitching yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 04:45 AM   #1
RiversC174
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aerate before or after pitching yeast?

I know, a completely amateur question but I dont think I aerated my first batch well enough or properly. Firstly, do you aerate before or after pitching yeast? Second, I dont have any fancy gadgets to do it so do you guys recommend just popping my sirlonk on quick, picking up my carboy and spazing out for a minute or two? Or is there a more refined way of doing this?? Thanks.

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 05:01 AM   #2
Lounge Lizard

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Always after cooling and before pitching.

The most elegant way to aerate can be seen here:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/aeration.html

Others shake the carboy like you described, or pour the wort back and forth between sanitized pails a few times. Or pour the wort through a fine mesh strainer. Aerating is more important when doing a full boil. If you are doing a partial boil, the extra added water will have some oxygen in it....

Old 03-14-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Yes and yes. If you're big enough to shake the carboy, that works. I use a pump and a timer, so the wort is aerated for 15 minutes every hour for six hours or until I get a blowoff or go to bed, whichever happens first.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversC174
Second, I dont have any fancy gadgets to do it so do you guys recommend just popping my sirlonk on quick, picking up my carboy and spazing out for a minute or two? Or is there a more refined way of doing this??
what could possibly be more refined than popping a sirlonk on quick and spazing out for a minute???

Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Keep in mind that if you do less than 5 gallon boils and top off with tap water, you're adding a good bit of O2 to your wort that way, so your aeration need is less critical.

You can also buy a little "splashing gadget" for a couple bucks that aerates the wort as it leaves the siphon tube and goes into the fermenter. The critical thing here would be that the wort be cooled to 80-90 or less before you do this, to avoid hot-side aeration.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Personally, I don't think it matters if you aerate before or after pitching, provided that you do the two things within minutes of each other.

I have done batches where I aerated (via shaking the carboy) and then pitched immediately, and I have done batches where I pitched the yeast and then immediately aerated (again via shaking).

The one thing I would avoid is pitching the yeast and then waiting a long time before aerating. But, if you wait only a few minutes to aerate, you should be OK.

-walker

Old 03-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
do you guys recommend just popping my sirlonk on quick?

Joe
i pop my sirlonk on real slow...

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 03-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lendl
i pop my sirlonk on real slow...
that's probably not a bad idea... you could put an eye out or stain a carpet if you pop that sirlonk too quickly....

Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I know, a completely amateur question but I dont think I aerated my first batch well enough or properly. Firstly, do you aerate before or after pitching yeast? Second, I dont have any fancy gadgets to do it so do you guys recommend just popping my sirlonk on quick, picking up my carboy and spazing out for a minute or two? Or is there a more refined way of doing this?? Thanks.

Joe
this is a really good question actually, aeration is a really important step that deserves the utmost attention. i do the spazola method, where i anchor the carboy on the top of my feet and shake it back and forth with enough momentum to mix the entire 5 gallons from top to bottom. i do this for maybe 10 seconds, then let it sit for a minute. i repeat every minute about 10 times, after the first few i open the stopper enough to let some air in then close it and shake again. when im done there is a head of foam that fills most of the dead space in the carboy, then i pitch the yeast and shake one more time before replacing the solid stopper with the airlock/drilled stopper....

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Quick Reply