Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice you get from your LHBS may not always be the best advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
SurlyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Advice you get from your LHBS may not always be the best advice!

I have been giving some great advice as well as terrible advice from my LHBS (Northern Brewer). I was talking to one of the managers and he was trying to tell me how I should not keep a beer in the primary for more than 1-2 weeks. If I learned anything from HBT, it is that leaving a beer in the primary for more than 3+ weeks is COMPLETELY fine, and many people have had great success with this method. This guy was convinced that leaving it longer could potentially ruin a beer... I've left a beer in the primary for 3+ weeks, dry hopped it, bottled it, and it is one of the best beers I've made. I also was given terrible advice about dry hopping an english india pale ale and over dry hopped it. It was my fault for following their advice but it was bad advice regardless. Long story short, take their advice with a grain of salt.

Primary: Chinook/Simcoe Black IPA, Scottish Wee Heavy

Bottled: Dunkelweizen, Caribou Slobber Ale, Smooth Nut Brown Ale, Surly Furious Clone, Amarillo Pale Ale, Falconers Flight IPA, Citra Pale Ale (Award Winner), Blue Moon Clone, Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo Pale Ale, English India Pale Ale, Cream ale, Liberty Cream ale, 2012 Harvest Ale, Dog Fish Head 60 Min, Cream of Three Crops

Kegged: KarmaCitra Pale Ale, Land Down Under Pale Ale (Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, & Aus Galaxy hops)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 241 Posts

Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. Including mine right now.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 459 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 207

That's what I enjoy about this hobby! There are so many ways to go about brewing beer that there really is no right or wrong and as I always tell people, its what works best for you and your system. If it works well for you stick with it.

I've had the opportunity of speaking with many experienced brewers that produce award winning beers and not one of them goes about it in the same way. Some secondary, some don't. Some dry hop their iPAs and some load up on late additions, some use dry yeast others liquid, etc.

Listen to all you can and absorb the information out there and then apply what you learn to your set up, take notes and do what works best for you

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

yeah, they want to sell secondary carboys.

It is true, no temp control on the primary at 70ish degrees will cause byproducts after 3ish weeks. yeast will start imploding. or exploding or something like that.

Now if you drop the temp down very low after 2-3 weeks then the yeast will be less active and will live longer... much longer.

Now if you rack to secondary in a week..... Thats going to leave a lot of unwanted byproducts that the yeast would of eaten during the 1-2 more weeks of primary.

This is what I heard from interviews with craft brewers.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If I have learned anything about this hobby it is everyone has an opinion. Does it mean their opinion is right/wrong. Nope.

I work in a fly fishing shop. I am sure some people walk out of the shop thinking I am an idiot because I don't fish the way someone on the internet/other flyshop/friend/some random person on the stream told them works for them. I use the techniques that work for me. Actually I know this has happened because a guy hopped onto a website I frequent and complained about that kid at my shop does not know what he is talking about, I laughed.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
dudius
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm a rather new homebrewer and I've been spending a lot of time reading The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing. It constantly reminds the reader to do as you wish and trust your gut. Make beer the way you wish to because the fundamentals of brewing are easy but important; everything else is extra.

That being said, the first beer I brewed was a gallon of Chestnut Brown Ale from a kit by Brooklyn Brewing Company. It said to ferment for two weeks then bottle and age for two weeks before consuming. I was busy working long days at work, so my beer sat for 3 to 4 weeks in the fermenter before I bottled. I think the beer came out just fine.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
mtk6006
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Believe me its not just brew shops its everywhere! Im a jack of all trades master of none.....well when contractors or "employees "try and give advice...in a minute ya know they full of it!!!!! All i do is smile and walk away and say thanks. Misinformed people spread piss poor info like the plaque!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

There's a lot of bad advice passed around about brewing period. There's a lot of dated advice and unquestioned "truth" passed around here, too.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

always get a second opinion thats what I always do.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

My LHBS is where I buy supplies and ingredients; HBT is where I get advice!

Quick Reply