Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice for variation on Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
ajl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice for adding Vanilla to Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale

I followed Sam Calagiones recipe in Extreme Brewing and it came out great. I do want to experiment by adding a subtle vanilla flavor. I'm looking for advice on how and when to add extract or beans. I've done some searching on the topic and found folks soaking the beans in Vodka. How long should they soak? I was hoping to brew tonight...

Thanks,
Aaron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
wscott823
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't had much experience on extraction specifically with vanilla bean, but just about anything else in vodka I give it 2 weeks.

Bottled: Sparkling Ambrosia, Chai Graff, Cerberus Barleywine, Jamil's Evil Twin, Chinook IPA
Planned Brews: Devil's Serum (Golden Strong Ale)

Make Your Own Belgian Candi Syrup

Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
HotbreakHotel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I usually soak them in Vodka just long enough to sanitize, maybe 1/2 hour or so. The beer will extract the vanilla flavor. Soak in just a little vodka and pour the vanilla and vodka in so you don't lose what the vodka's extracted. I do this after primary fermentation is complete to keep the flavor true.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Jewrican
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotbreakHotel View Post
I usually soak them in Vodka just long enough to sanitize, maybe 1/2 hour or so. The beer will extract the vanilla flavor. Soak in just a little vodka and pour the vanilla and vodka in so you don't lose what the vodka's extracted. I do this after primary fermentation is complete to keep the flavor true.
i believe that you need to only have the beans in beer for a certain amount of time. Can anyone confirm that?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
ajl
Recipes 

Thanks, searching around I've found people using anywhere between one and four beans. How should I determine quantity? Right now I'm thinking two beans cut lengthwise and soaked in vodka for a couple weeks (I've got the time if it's not going into the fermenter) and added to my secondary?

Quick Reply