Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice for someone about to start brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #11
avaserfi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Looks like I will be doing some reading before jumping in! I will start with How to Brew - By John Palmer since it is free and I can start today. I also plan on picking up the Complete Joy of Homebrewing. Once I get through some of those two books I should have a decent idea (I hope) of what I will need to really get going. I am sure I will have more questions, which is why I am glad I found this place. I was also told there is a near by Brew Store, so I will check that out in a week or two and see what they have/recommend and if it is too intimidating .

Ohh, and I intend to obsess, isn't part of the fun? Most people think I am crazy when it comes to the obsession with speakers and their design this will probably be the same .

Thanks and I am always open to more suggestions!

Andrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #12
avaserfi
Recipes 

Just finished reading How to Brew - By John Palmer it was very encouraging. I have a good idea of what I need, but it seems like it would be cheaper to purchase it in a kit rather than everything separately. I figure about $100 to start off with should give me a good set of equipment. Does anyone have specific recommendations of starter kits that have basic supplies? I will be visiting Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson, TX in about two weeks so I can actually look around as well. It seems like it would be best for me to use my cooking tools for cooking and brewing tools for brewing to minimize any chance of contamination so I will start fresh with this.

Also, anyone have suggestions on a great first shot hoppy IPA? I was thinking something like the DFH 60 minute recipe on this site, but think that might be beyond me for a first shot?

Thanks again.

Andrew

Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
Gumbys_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

here's the exact kit i started out with from a local home brew shop in houston defalco's

Double Stage kit. all you need is a large pot to brew in and ingredients. it comes with instructions to do extract brews for 5 gallon batches.

Brewing Starter Kits

but i'd go with austin home brew shops kit it comes with everything above and more for 20 bucks cheaper
Deluxe Beer Making Kit [01749]
$86.99
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=11357

Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Last edited by Gumbys_Brew; 11-20-2008 at 04:39 AM.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 AM   #14
avaserfi
Recipes 

The Austin Homebrew has three options for the carboy. Is there any big difference between plastic (extra $25) and glass (extra $35)?

I was eying that kit with the 24 quart stainless steel stockpot for my starter kit. From my understanding 5 gallon batches are heated in two groups so a 6 gallon pot should be plenty large. Is it too large though, would smaller be better for starters?

Thanks for all the help!

Andrew

Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #15
Gumbys_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaserfi View Post
The Austin Homebrew has three options for the carboy. Is there any big difference between plastic (extra $25) and glass (extra $35)?

I was eying that kit with the 24 quart stainless steel stockpot for my starter kit. From my understanding 5 gallon batches are heated in two groups so a 6 gallon pot should be plenty large. Is it too large though, would smaller be better for starters?

Thanks for all the help!
i started brewing in a 3 gallon kettle but after my first batch i bought a 7.5 gallon kettle makes it easy to go from extract to all grain with no worries. you won't have to worry about boil over either the bigger the pot. for the carboy question i'd go with the plastic carboy does the same thing less of a cost and much safer. lots of horror stories of glass carboys breaking. also plastic is easy to ship and can't break also will bring shipping cost down
Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale
Keg 2-empty

Old 11-20-2008, 05:22 AM   #16
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recommend picking up brewing books from the library before purchasing.
I got "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" 3rd Ed. free from a friend along with some equipment, and the book was not for me. I don't care for the writing style, and much of the information is out of date.
I have been very happy with Palmer's book, and I enjoyed reading Korzonas' Homebrewing Vol 1. And there are even more options, so pick one you like. Just like beer

Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #17
avaserfi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby1220 View Post
i started brewing in a 3 gallon kettle but after my first batch i bought a 7.5 gallon kettle makes it easy to go from extract to all grain with no worries. you won't have to worry about boil over either the bigger the pot. for the carboy question i'd go with the plastic carboy does the same thing less of a cost and much safer. lots of horror stories of glass carboys breaking. also plastic is easy to ship and can't break also will bring shipping cost down
Looks like I know pretty much everything I need now.

Thanks again!

Andrew

Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #18
Gumbys_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

no prob

Bottled- empty
Keg 1- Irish Blonde Ale