Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice for a newbie - temperature control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
OKCAg2002
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Advice for a newbie - temperature control

So I've gotten 5 brewdays under my belt. All in all, I've had a lot of success and my last beer (a Kolsch) is absolutely delicious.

Here's my set up. I have a 7 CF chest freezer that I use for a fermentation chamber. I built a dual-stage temperature controller thanks to this forum. All in all, it works perfectly.

Here's where I need a little advice.
Last week, I brewed a Hefeweizen. It's been in the bucket for 8 days at 65 degrees. I used Wyeast Weihenstephan 3086 (temperature range 64-75 degrees).

Yesterday, I brewed my first IPA. I used Wyeast 1056 (60-72 degrees).

Okay - have the temperature controller set at 68 degrees for the IPA, but because fermentation produces heat, it has dropped the Hefeweizen down to 60 degrees. Is that too cold? I'm assuming that primary fermentation is done but I'm worried I'll send the yeast into dormancy before they're completely finished.

Hopefully that makes sense. Basic question is should I worry that the Hefeweizen is too cold if it's 8 days from brewday?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 713 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Your fermentation requires a cool start as the yeast eating sugars will raise the temperature and cause off flavors to develop. Once the sugars are mostly gone your flavor profile is set and the beer can be brought to a warmer location for the cleanup and conditioning phase. The simple answer is, yes your Hefeweizen is too cold for proper cleanup and conditioning so take it out of the fermentation chamber and leave just the IPA in there. Now, since you have space left in the fermentation chamber, why aren't you brewing another beer. Your beer needs the temperature controlled for only 3 to 5 days. After that warmer is better as it encourages the yeast to do the cleanup and you will get better attenuation.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 365 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I agree with RM-MN. The heffe is far enough along that you can take it out and let it sit at room temp. That way you can set the temp for the IPA for the first few days, which are the most critical.

The flavor is set in the first few days so raising the temp up to finish out is OK.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! That sounds like good advice. I'll bring it in the house. The wife isn't a big fan of fermenting beer smell in the house but I think most if the smells should be over by now.

So no damage done to the Hefe with the cooler temps the last 24 hours?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Yeha leave the hefe at room temp. Those yeast strains are tempermental with esters and what not. Its far enough along that it shouldn't be a problem but i'd advise to leave it at a higher temp now that its almost done rather then a lower so they can clean up some of their byproducts and what not.

BTW was ur hefe a kit or a recipe on here? I used the NB hefe kit and despite not being a fan of the style, its by far the best beer ive produced thusfar.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It was a NB kit. Can't wait because I love wheat beer!

Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So just an update. I brought the Hefe inside and it's now at 70 degrees. There is some activity in the airlock as well. I probably woke up the yeast when I was carrying the bucket. Anyways, good call in bringing it inside. I'll probably put it back into the chest freezer when the IPA settles down after a few days.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Once you have that hefe inside at room temp, you might as well leave it there.

Quick Reply