Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice to new brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Malty_Dog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I am certainly early on and trying to nail down a smooth, quality process. That said, I've brewed a different beer every time. Extract, PM, AG BIAB - each has been fun. What's nice about having solid recipes to refer to is that I know what my hydro readings should be, compared to what they are. I know what my ferment temps should be. I know what my mash temps should be. So if I can focus on my process - cleanliness, sterilization, temp control, boil-off, etc...I don't see much downside to making different beers. I think if I move to a traditional AG setup though I would want to really have my process down pat.

So many recipes...

Fermenter: Ommegang Rare Vos
Bottles: Dales Pale Ale, Old Chub, Programmers Elbow ESB, Nick Danger Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridire View Post
I decided after my second batch that I was going to follow this plan (I only have 3 brews under my belt right now). The idea is to avoid the "boredom" mentioned here while still doing what the original post suggests:

1. Brew IPA
2. Next batch, brew whatever crazy thing I want
3. Repeat IPA with tweaks to process/recipe
4. Next batch, brew whatever crazy thing I want

repeat until IPA is perfect and then replace IPA with a different style. This way, I give the IPA enough time to ferment and condition before I start attempting to fix what might be wrong with it...I can't very well brew an IPA this week and then try to dial in my process with another brew next week, can I?

You understand what I meant. I didn't mean one recipe, I meant one style(I could have stated it better). Looking back I enjoyed all (OK most) of my crazy brews, but I also know that if I brewed them now they would be far superior to what they were then due to the fact that I now understand the process.
If you can't make a consistent omelette why try to make a soufflé.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #23
gometz
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridire View Post
I decided after my second batch that I was going to follow this plan (I only have 3 brews under my belt right now). The idea is to avoid the "boredom" mentioned here while still doing what the original post suggests:

1. Brew IPA
2. Next batch, brew whatever crazy thing I want
3. Repeat IPA with tweaks to process/recipe
4. Next batch, brew whatever crazy thing I want

repeat until IPA is perfect and then replace IPA with a different style. This way, I give the IPA enough time to ferment and condition before I start attempting to fix what might be wrong with it...I can't very well brew an IPA this week and then try to dial in my process with another brew next week, can I?
This is my plan at this time. Started off with a black imperial IPA because I promised my brother to give him some beer in the 22oz bottles he gave me (and because I really wanted to try out the continuous hopping technique), then an IPA (which like you will be my staple), now started a lager (this will also help me slow down because it will take up the fridge).

Once the IPA is done I will critique and go over my process to see where I need to improve. The only trick here is that I would like to try out AG next time.

(Note: this is what I have done this year, have been a casual homebrewer for 8 years and I'm tired of making sub-par beers)

Old 05-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #24
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Here's some similar advise, once you get you procedure down where you think it should be then brew a light beer. Doesn't have to be a lager, just a light beer. Any mistakes in your procedure will rear their ugly heads if there are mistakes. Make a 1.040 beer at about 12 IBU's and see what it taste like.

Quick Reply