Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice to new brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2262 Times on 1970 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

I like pale ales,so I brew a lot of variations on a theme. But I will do something different in between. Like the pale I was playing with that came out more like a hybrid lager. A happy accident that's slowly turning into a new recipe. Then a light & a dark version. Since midwest is 6 days behind on shipping from warehouse expansions,I'm not sure my PM Berliner Weisse or caps & dextrose will get here in time for the big brewday Saturday. I was looking forward to the start of some wheat beer experiments...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #12
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DromJohn View Post
While a rational choice for some brewers, I prefer variety over boredom. It's the same reason I don't drink the same commerical beer all the time. My first brew was good enough that I keep trying new things. The only repeat was SWMBO's request of her favorite. Brewing isn't hard, though some of the engineering types try to make it hard. Most newbies should be able to brew a good beer and if they want a soured chocolate raspberry imperial porter, then go for it.

Don't let the EACs get you down.

Did you really need to toss my advice under the bus.

My first brew(275 batches ago) was good enough to keep me trying also. They finally got good when I started concentrating on consistency. You may discover you could be a far better brewer if you only realized that
Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #13
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

lol EAC. it took me forever to find the thread that explained that one.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #14
ricksam
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I think it may sort of be the natural cycle of becoming a brewer. You start out, make a couple good beers, and then say "This is so cool!...now I wanna make this and this and this and this...." and you do for a time but then you start to say "I now know how to make good beer, but now I want to learn how to make really, really good beer consistently" and that requires settling down to learn how ingredients and styles interact and effect the outcomes before you can really branch out and have a good working knowledge of what your doing. But hey, the great thing about this hobby is you can do whatever slicks your hair back!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
Tinhorn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Hate to ask but what is EAC?

You could be walking around lucky and not even know it

Old 05-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 409 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Do you mean that for my second brew I should not try my new reicpe for a Mocha mango sour vanilla chocolate ginger pepper rosemary hibiscus stout?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #17
bcmeyer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam
I think it may sort of be the natural cycle of becoming a brewer. You start out, make a couple good beers, and then say "This is so cool!...now I wanna make this and this and this and this...." and you do for a time but then you start to say "I now know how to make good beer, but now I want to learn how to make really, really good beer consistently" and that requires settling down to learn how ingredients and styles interact and effect the outcomes before you can really branch out and have a good working knowledge of what your doing. But hey, the great thing about this hobby is you can do whatever slicks your hair back!
I agree with this. I'm 2 days away from my one year anniversary of brewing (woo!). I've done 11 batches of all different beers, but I keep it simple by just following extract recipes and focus on some of the important basics.

I think I still follow a nice progression for learning. I started just figuring out the equipment and the boiling process. Then I learned about yeast starters, the fermentation process, and temperature control (which I don't have the equipment to perfect this just yet, but I have a good idea on where I'm headed). Then recently I picked up a kegerator and two kegs, so I've learned the ends and outs of kegging. With the kegerator, Ive been able to try my hand at a few lagers by fermenting in the kegerator. And then my next few beers are going to hopefully give me some new experiences. I'm going to brew a fruit beer to get practice with that, and then the next two I'm going to try and make my own extract recipes.

I think the OP has a good point though. Once I move to all grain and get that process down, then I will focus on perfecting my few recipes and working on consistency.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #18
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just watched a video that talks about this topic. Kinda.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Did you really need to toss my advice under the bus.

My first brew(275 batches ago) was good enough to keep me trying also. They finally got good when I started concentrating on consistency. You may discover you could be a far better brewer if you only realized that.
The advice wasn't tossed under the bus. Your advice, as stated, is a rational choice. The attitude has tread marks.

RDWAHAHB.

Drinking: Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale; NB La Petite Orange Blanche; NB The Plinian Legacy; Val-Dieu Triple.
On order: Redhook 8-4-1 Expedition Ale.
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 05-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Ridire
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 842 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 346

I decided after my second batch that I was going to follow this plan (I only have 3 brews under my belt right now). The idea is to avoid the "boredom" mentioned here while still doing what the original post suggests:

1. Brew IPA
2. Next batch, brew whatever crazy thing I want
3. Repeat IPA with tweaks to process/recipe
4. Next batch, brew whatever crazy thing I want

repeat until IPA is perfect and then replace IPA with a different style. This way, I give the IPA enough time to ferment and condition before I start attempting to fix what might be wrong with it...I can't very well brew an IPA this week and then try to dial in my process with another brew next week, can I?

Quick Reply