Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Advice needed urgent

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
SeanPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Advice needed urgent

Hey all,

I have been holding onto some basic handmedown brewing equipment for a few years and am finally ready to give it a go. Brewday - T minus 9 hours. I have everything sterilised and ready to go.

I'm using a lager kit (I am a pilsner man) which isn't the very basic malt extract...but somewhere in-between - in a muslin mag. The instructions are to boil the muslin bag in 9 pints of water and then pour into carboy and top off with cool water.

Here is my question:

My equipment has a boiling pan big enough to handle a full 5 gallons AND I have a basic copper wort chiller. Would I end up with a better product if I ignored the instructions and used the above equipment?

Quick reply would be appreciated.

THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
kenny_d
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Do you have a link to the kit you are using?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

While the more you can boil the better, I would shoot in the middle and maybe do a 3 gallon boil. Saying this only because I don't know exactly what you have, but any wort chiller is better than none at all.

My best advice is to keep EVERYTHING clean and sanitary. If you don't have any sanitizer on hand, I would call off brew day.

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 955

What's in that bag?
What kind of yeast are you using?

You really need to give more information on that kit to enable people to help you.

Lager is not the easiest beer to start with, if you want it to taste like a lager. Not impossible, but quite finicky.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Grains are not usually boiled.

I all you have is a bag of grains and no malt extract then your process needs to be more controlled.

If you expect to end up with a pilsner that tastes like a pilsner then you will need to ferment very cool using a lager yeast for a couple weeks and then lager the beer afterwards for several more weeks. You'd also do best working with soft water.

More information on your recipe/ingredients and equipment would be helpful to give better advice. Also, your yeast and temperature control will play a HUGE roll on the finished product tasting like a lager.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 596 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Definitely more information is needed. Malt extract itself does not need a muslin bag. You do not want to boil any grains. And you WILL need to sanitize right before using anything that will touch the beer after the boiling stage. It will not be sanitized in nine hours.

A true lager takes very precise temperature control so I believe that you have one of those light ale kits that are called lagers.

If you have no more information or knowledge I would follow the instructions EXCEPT for the timing. Allow a few days or a couple weeks longer for the fermentation and conditioning that they advise in the instructions.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
SeanPM
Recipes 

Hi all, thanks for the super quick responses.

@kenny_d. http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/beer-cider-kits/mariner-beer-kits/mariner-lager.html that is the lager. Sorry it is very nondescript.

@keystonehomebrew - I have been rigorously sanitising the equipment for the past week. The wort cooler as been in vinegar and everything has gone through bleach and then hombrew satizing solution. One of my main concerns is introducing cold water. Would I better getting bottled water?

@IslandLizard I am not sure what is in the bag - it's a pre-made recipe! I would GUESS that the yeast is probably a top fermenting yeast...because from my research it seems that most kit providers give noob brewers the quickest and most forgiving ingredients they can therefore I hazard the assumption that it is not 'proper' lager yeast.

I have been told more than once that lager is not the easiest to start with....my reply is - I like it the best so it is what I am starting with

@stpug the kit contains dried malt extract and a muslin bag full of other stuff. It instructs you to boil the bag for an hour, pour into carboy with sugar and malt extract and then top with cool water.

I have fridge set up and plenty of patience so I am happy to properly lager my lager.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 129

For God's sakes Man, open the bag and see what is in it. If you have no idea what ingredients are in the kit and with little knowledge of brewing Pils. The beer that you expect, might not be what you expect. Especially, with 4 pounds of sugar added in. But, that is how you will learn. The kit is like the ones that came out of Australia and England in the late 70s. I wouldn't be surprised if they recommend dumping everything in a crock and covering it with a towel to keep the flies out.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #9
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 303 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 955

I have the feeling there's hops in the bag, which should be boiled as well as some specialty grains, which should NOT be boiled.

The link explains only a bit more and shows leaf hops and some (unmilled) grains and possibly a bag of a dark dry malt extract, a bag of finings and perhaps a bag of yeast:

Quote:
Mariner beers are the homebrew centres own recipes each kit contains whole malt, hops, spray malt, yeast & nutirent & finings

To make these 40-pint dry beer kits, you will require: A large boiling pan or Boiler that will hold 9 pints of water and 4lbs of sugar.
Without sanitation there is a good chance this is not going to come out right.

Boiling the bag with 9 pints of water, and dumping the whole lot in a carboy plus 4 pounds of sugar...is not likely gonna make anything I'd call a tasty beer.

At least if you're using rigorous sanitation you may be able to drink it.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine
On tap: 2.3'd | Sketchy Bastard | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
SeanPM
Recipes 

Well...thanks to all the doubt cast upon the mission, I have called it off for a week. SO in the meantime, does anyone have a nice easy lager recipe for newbs?

And please don't tell me (again) that newbs don't do lager!!

Quick Reply